View Rainbow Lake Description | Add Comment

Vanhiker from Van writes:

Can somebody please comment on the current snow conditions? Would running shoes be okay? We are

Posted: August 16, 2017 09:12:04 PM PST

Ariela Friedmann from Vancouver writes:

Anyone know how are the snow conditions on the trail to Rainbow Lake and beyond since the July 1 posting? Are yak trax or snowshoes needed? I'm hoping to backpack in with 2 novice backpackers -- safety first is top of mind.

Posted: July 28, 2017 04:50:30 PM PST

moni from Richmond writes:

I did the hike on July 23. very nice long hike. should be good go on August as the flower still not open yet. but, still incredible beautiful and peaceful...

• Rainbow Lake photo
      • Rainbow Lake photo
      • Rainbow Lake photo

Posted: July 24, 2017 10:51:33 PM PST

Joe from Philadelphia writes:

Me and my wife just did the hike on July 1st after the Canada Day parade in the village. Afternoon is a perfect time for this hike as the sun is not too strong and your chance of wildlife sightings goes up greatly, a group told us they saw 2 bears on the trail right before we met up with them. The last third is pretty muddy still with significant snow around the second cable bridge and beyond.. We did not go to the lake but instead turned around as the footing on the snow was a bit tricky for running shoes, others told us the lake is still snow covered. The views are still amazing and the hike is a lot of fun. I would suggest bringing bug spray as the mosquitoes are very active on the second half of the hike later in the day.

For those with a fear of heights, like me, this is a great mountain top hike with good elevation and great views without any extreme exposures. The second cable bridge may be too much, it was for me, but even if you go only to that point the views are worth the trip.

Posted: July 1, 2017 11:56:02 PM PST

richard from vancouver writes:

I did the hike today July 1 2017 canada day .Great hike around 30 to 40 mins from the Lake the snow was on the trail ,A little tricky getting to the lake good to have poles and good hiking boots for the snow .There is a few snow bridges here and there so watch out for them i slipped once up to about just below my knee .The Hike was around 4 hours return to the car enjoy !!

Posted: July 1, 2017 05:49:44 PM PST

Alexandr from Moscow writes:

Hiked June, 30. Still lots of snow at the end of the trail. We had problems finding our way because of that. Met several groups who returned without reaching the lake. However, the views are magnificent and it was worth to wander around a little bit.

P.S. footprints are sometimes not going along the path, so be careful

• Rainbow Lake photo

Posted: June 30, 2017 08:52:28 PM PST

Alex from Vancouver writes:

Had an excellent time doing this hike on June 24, 2017. Snow started slightly before the suspension bridge. Was a little hard to stay on the trail in the snow, but we managed as the trail is well marked. We were surprised that the suspension bridge has still not been pulled across the river for the summer. We had to go directly through the river at the calmest point instead. There's also a bridge past the suspension bridge that's been twisted sideways by all the snow that's been on it. We had to crawl across the bridge. Other than that it'a a great hike if you're up for an adventure.

Posted: June 24, 2017 11:46:45 PM PST

Darryl from Vancouver writes:

Explored this hike solo 4 Jun 2017. Did not reach Rainbow Lake. I encountered more snow than expected a little ways before second outhouse and eventually turned around. I did not see a single other person on this hiking route - despite it being a nice Sunday... I guess no one attempts this hike till July. Nice and peaceful and not particularly physically demanding.

Posted: June 4, 2017 02:15:03 PM PST

Avi from Vancouver writes:

Question: Is there likely to be snow on the trail at the end of October?

Posted: October 18, 2016 02:47:27 PM PST

Mike Chou from Vancouver writes:

This is my favourite trail in Whistler area. I went there on September 28th. There is no snow left, but the temperature is a little bit low when walking in the shadow. I like it more than Joffre Lake. The lake is extremely beautiful and trail is so much fun. Wild flowers everywhere.

Posted: September 21, 2016 04:40:14 PM PST

Alexandra from Vancouver writes:

I've done the hike today July 1 (Happy Canada's Day!) and it took us about 4-5h with a 30 min break at the top. There area a few patches of snow on the last part of the trail but they can be crosses with any type of shoes. The lake still has a lot of snow on it and all around it. Also the temperature up there is pretty low (single digits). The trail has some nice bridges, is very well marked and there are some pretty waterfalls. The last third of the trail is very muddy so good hiking shoes would be recommended.

I gave the hike 3 stars because it wasn't one of my favorites.

Posted: July 2, 2016 12:14:23 AM PST

Vania from Vancouver writes:

My friends and I went to Rainbow Lake this past weekend. We started late and heat was killer. Other than that, pleasant trail, lots of locals hiking or trail running, very easy to follow. Wildflowers were in bloom, it was beautiful! We stopped at Rainbow Lake to eat our lunch and we continued on to Hanging Lake, where we camped. Even getting there late, it was easy to find a spot. I would def. hike this trail again!

Posted: July 6, 2015 10:44:57 PM PST

Tak McT. from Vancouver writes:

I hiked this trail solo on 04/14/15. 3hrs up, 2hrs down.

Not quite as challenging as the Garibaldi Lake hike despite the same elevation ascent. What differs Rainbow Trail from Garibaldi Lake is the immense forest that you hike through that is laden with fresh powder.

I admit, I did not know that the 2nd bridge (cable bridge) was not in order during the winter, so I had to turn around and come back. I was really hoping that there was going to be an alternate route marked around the same area, but with all the fresh snow that had fallen over the past few days, I couldn't easily see any markers.

The snow paths were somewhat visible around the bog, but I did get lost a few times and had to back trail a bit.

Although I couldn't get to Rainbow Lake, I do recommend this hike to anyone who likes wandering through a white forest full of fresh powder (as I was so lucky). Runners would not be a good idea. Once you start nearing the cable bridge, the snow was up to my knees, and I did have to scramble a lot on the path to proceed, so gaiters would be suggested with your boots.

I was looking forward to the end point on this hike, but I guess I'll have to come back in the warmer months! It was a great winter hike though.

Posted: April 14, 2015 07:09:58 PM PST