View Hanes Valley Trail Description | Add Comment

brian from N Van writes:

This is a great hike i have done it a number of times. However don't underestimate it. You are in the full BC backcountry once you pass Norvan falls. No cell coverage, no large groups of people etc. go prepared 10 essentials and bring extra food and water. It is ardous and it saves this till the end, that is up till the hanes valley headwall the hiking is easy however in the last 3-5km you go from flat enjoyable trail to full on up hill trudge and if you turn back there is 14 km behind you so go planning to complete it and prepared in case something happens (twist an ankle) or you simply take longer than expected. If you go prepared it is one of my favourite hikes

Posted: July 22, 2017 06:20:14 PM PST

Joanna from Hamilton writes:

Tackled this trail on June 17. The trail up to the boulder field was great - after that the snow was quite deep and broke through in sections. The trail markings were hard to see because of the snow, so we took on a very steep section that definitely wasn't part of the trail post boulder field. It was a good adventure! Very strenuous, a little dodgy at points.

• Hanes Valley Trail photo

Posted: June 22, 2017 12:13:00 PM PST

Dan from North Van writes:

June 19th, 2017 - After originally planning to just do Norvan Falls, my friend and I decided we had enough time and provisions to take on Hanes. The trail is currently closed and the steep boulder section onwards is covered in about 3 meters of snow (making it even more difficult.) It is very hard to see the trail markers at times due to the amount of snow and there is no cell service. We advise against attempting this trail until it has been opened. That being said, it was quite an adventure.

• Hanes Valley Trail photo

Posted: June 19, 2017 10:39:49 PM PST

Tobi from Vancouver writes:

Hiked it on Saturday August 27. Trail is in great condition. Plenty of markers on the boulder field. I would only do Crown if you are really determined to do so. It adds quite a bit of extra workout to the whole thing and in my eyes it was not the highlight of the whole hike.

Posted: August 29, 2016 06:39:37 AM PST

Chris from Surrey writes:

Hiked this on July 3 and the snow is pretty much gone from the trail (some small patches on the way to grouse).

Posted: July 4, 2016 02:38:16 PM PST

Ray from Vancouver writes:

Hiked the trail from Lynn valley June 18. We had patches of snow on the shady sides of Hanes valley, near the top of the boulder field. Snow along the top of Goat and near Dam Mt. We did have a wet slushy trek but a good test for endurance. The lodge at Grouse was a pleasant rest stop and the coffee was needed to warm up. After a short rest we headed back down old Mountain Hwy to the start of the hike in Lynn valley. The hike was 38km with 3000m of elevation change and took us just under 7 hrs, included running when we could.

Posted: June 19, 2016 02:08:59 PM PST

Brad Mistry from Vancouver writes:

I did this hike alone on June 4th, 2016. I consider myself is average shape and this put me to my limit. I was already exhausted before the boulder field and a good part of me died at the end of that section.

As for snow, there is tons of slushy snow between the Crown Mountain Junction and the Service Road. I did this without snow shoes as it is manageable, however I was sliding most the time. Also had altitude sickness at this elevation (which I was shocked).

Not an easy hike. I only removed 1 star from the rating due to my own physical inadequacies. I recommend doing this hike in July as the posting suggested.

Posted: June 6, 2016 06:15:19 PM PST

Alan Woodland from Vancouver writes:

We did this route on May 13, 2016. Snow on the upper part of the north-facing slopes of Hanes Valley required us to kick steps into the steep snow and I was glad to have my ice axe with me. Once we reached the col, we realized that western sun exposure and walking along the windward side of the ridge did not not mean the snowpack would be reduced. At least a metre in places and probably 4-6 weeks before being clear. We splashed around in the afternoon slush and made our way to the Grouse Mountain Skyride. Total trip time was 8 hours, but would have been much faster without the snow. Be fit! This hike will challenge you.

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:27:01 PM PST

Alan Luk from Coquitlam writes:

Anyone know if the trail is open yet?

Posted: May 12, 2016 10:20:28 PM PST

C from Vancouver writes:

No the trail is not open right now - it is only open, per this page, from July to September. People had to be rescued from there yesterday because they weren't prepared and went in despite it being clearly marked as being closed.

Posted: February 22, 2016 03:50:32 PM PST

Pallando from Burnaby writes:

Is the trail open now?

Posted: February 15, 2016 03:14:03 AM PST

Kirk from North Vancouver writes:

Hiked this trail yesterday (Oct 27, 2015) and it was in good condition. The crossing over Lynn Creek past Norvan falls is a bit treacherous and you have to be very careful. The log across the creek was very slippery where the bark has been removed. Download wait was 45 min - 1hr up at Grouse so plan for that if they only have the blue skyride running. Great hike overall, definitely a very good workout. Took us about 5 hours all in.

Posted: October 28, 2015 10:16:28 AM PST

Francis from Coquitlam writes:

This is definitely one difficult but exhilarating hike that I plan on doing again. I did this hike last Saturday with 4 other people. The weather was sunny and not overly hot. The first 7 km from the trail head to the metal suspension bridge were not all that interesting. The group almost got lost at the log jam over Lynn Creek, but I spotted the markers heading into the forest and got us back on track. That's when the trail started to get rough. The trail between Lynn Creek and the boulder field is full of switchbacks and gradually rises until you come to a clearing with a SAR cache and helicopter pad. We stopped for 2 mins before carrying on through a short but steep trail that led us onto the boulder field. The boulder field seems easy at first but becomes grueling as it becomes steeped towards the top. Many loose rocks and much opportunity for injury. At the last portion of the rock field we heard voices as we neared Crown Pass. Once we reached the Junction with the Crown Mountain trail we saw several groups of people resting as well as other groups going to and from Crown Mountain. We thought about carrying on to Crown Mountain but one member of our group was uncomfortable with that so we elected to just head straight to Grouse. The trail from Crown Pass to Little Goat was dusty and not at all wet. We took the Alpine trail to Grouse and had a well-deserved pint at the chalet before taking the gondola down. The hike took us about 6.5 hours at a moderate pace.

I recommend being physically fit and bring food and lots of water. I would not suggest doing this one solo.

Posted: August 27, 2015 02:18:08 AM PST

Jeffrey S from Vancouver writes:

Me again, did this on July 11, the "normal" way, Lynn to Grouse, with two others. First day of precipitation in Vancouver in months.

Very easy the first half, and even with a light drizzle over the boulder field it was not so bad, footing was sure, though it is hard enough. As the fog rolled in we had problems seeing the route up, could not always spot the markings. No view either.

As the rain picked up and the temperature was dropping after the boulders we had a harder time. It was less comfortable to stop, as coverage was thinner. We ended up drenched and cold, so even changed clothing.
                            Underestimated how much was left, and how much vertical as well. So the last 2 hours were difficult.

I suppose not being able to enjoy the views after the boulders was unlucky, but still very glad to have done this.

Regarding my query below, I think you could do this reverse, up the Grind and towards Crown, linking into the Hanes trail down. Markings may not be clear though. Going down boulders could be tedious, but after would be a breeze. Maybe 1 hr longer.

Posted: July 14, 2015 04:57:25 PM PST

Jeffrey S from Vancouver writes:

I'd like to know how it would be to do this hike the opposite direction, something I always wanted to do: up Grouse Grind over the top and DOWN the Hanes Valley trail, ending at Lynn Canyon. What parts would be particularly hard going down...the boulder field?

Thanks...

Posted: July 7, 2015 05:09:32 PM PST

Ron from Vancouver writes:

Hiked Hanes Valley on July 2, 2015. The trail was dry and the main creek crossing was easy to cross (just walk carefully over the big log which acts as a bridge).

We arrived by bus at the Lynn Headwaters entrance around 9:10am. We finished the hike at the top of Grouse Mountain around 2:30pm. We only took a 15 minute break for lunch at the helicopter pad.

The boulder field was challenging and the most difficult part of the hike. Ensure you bring at least 3 liters of water (1 liter will be just for the boulder field on a hot day). The boulder field is well marked - just ensure you keep an eye on the orange tape.

Great hike with amazing views!

Posted: July 2, 2015 05:01:28 PM PST

Dom from Vancouver writes:

Was up there on May 31st and did Hanes Valley up to Crown Mountain then back down Grouse and across the Baden Powell back to Lynn Valley.

I can confirm there's no more snow, lots of bugs and really quiet trail, we maybe saw 3 groups in the morning.

Posted: June 2, 2015 02:13:37 PM PST

Trevor Lyons from Vancouver writes:

My bro and i a completed this hike today. Overall the trail was very. I found the time estimate to be verry conservative as we completed hanes valley AND crown mountain in 8 hours. The hanes valley trail is very easy until the boulder field and then it gets fun :) love you lo. call mets xo TL ps im single

Posted: May 24, 2015 12:17:08 AM PST

Andy from North Vancouver writes:

I did this trail on Sunday 5th Oct 2014 alone (son sprained his ankle the day before). However I took all the precautions and absolutely loved it!

It's a wonderful trail, and my new personal favourite.

It's a little scary when you do it the first time, as there is a point with insufficient trail markings, where the trail splits at Hanes Valley Junction (from Lynne Lake). I didn't see any trail markings telling me to turn left there. Therefore, when you get to the junction, you need to take the smaller trail to the left, down the slope to the stream.

Anxiety is increased a bit when you get to the stream, as there isn't any obvious crossing point, just a raging stream under a few slippery logs. After debating whether I was on the right trail or not, I eventually elected to carry on, and crossed the stream (lots of crawling and balancing).

I think I wasted quite a bit of time, generally making sure I was on the right track. Note, if you're counting on using your phone's GPS there, there isn't any signal, so you will be stuck, if you don't have an app to allow you to use GPS without a network signal. I got an app straight after I got back from this hike.

The rest of the trail is great, and the boulder field is such a great workout! The distance doesn't look that far, but once you're on the boulder field, it feels like you'll never get off, they just seem to go on and up forever.

Once you're up to Crown Pass, expect to get muddy climbing up Goat Mtn. Those chains are pretty muddy as well.

After you're near the top of Goat Mtn, basically Grouse Mtn, the trail becomes easy. It's a nice casual hike across the mountain and eventually downhill to the gondola at the top of Grouse.

All in all the hike took 8.5 hours, but I lost quite a lot of time triple-checking my route and backtracking somewhat, and I spent an hour photographing Norvan Falls! - Take your camera, it'll add hours onto your hike! :-D

It's a great route! There wasn't any snow when I went, however I expect snow will soon fall up there.

I definitely wouldn't even think of climbing those boulders out of Hanes Valley in snowy conditions, without knowing what I was doing. Almost every smaller boulder I stood on moved. Further up it felt like I was hiking up a sand dune, two steps up, one step sliding down on scree. Therefore to do all that in snow could mean you could step into a gap in the rocks, or a rock shifts beneath your feet. - Ouch!

There are also bears up there. I met a hiker coming down Goat Ridge who looked a little scared, he'd seen a bear on the trail nearby.

Enjoy!! :-)

Posted: October 9, 2014 07:54:17 PM PST

Morten from Vienna writes:

I hiked this trail today. I have to say, the estimated time specified for this trail is very conservative. I finished in five hours, and I am a quite novice hiker (though with good stamina and long legs). The five hours included plenty of time for drinking water, eating snacks and taking pictures along the way. I did come well prepared though, having studied the trail description on this page, but I found it to be mostly wasted effort as the trail is quite well marked and very easy to follow. There are also free maps to get at the start of the trail, so you really shouldn't get lost. :)

The trail was quite nice, though the first part up to 3rd Debris Chute can be a bit boring, so I suggest switching over to Headwaters Trail from Cedars Mill Trail when possible (as I did). I went on the cloudy/misty day, so there wasn't much point in going to Crown Mountain, though I would recommend doing so if you are good on time. Some locals I met along the way told me the view there is 360 and quite spectacular.

The two highlights of the trail were Norvan Falls (try to get up close if you have waterproof shoes) and the boulder field. The boulder field can be bit tiring, but with good hiking boots it's quite enjoyable, and it's also not that long. Ending up at Grouse Mountain is a little strange with all the tourists, but at least I got to see a bear (actually two) while visiting Canada this way. There was also a lumberjack show going on as I arrived, which was amusing. If you still have stamina at this point, I suggest going down the grind (technically prohibited) or making a loop, like someone else suggested here. As I didn't have a map, I opted for the former.

Vancouver, August 17, 2014.

Posted: August 16, 2014 09:16:48 PM PST

Kristine from Vancouver writes:

Some friends and I ran/scrambled the route from Hanes Valley the August long weekend. We started from Lynn Canyon, and returned to Lynn Canyon via Mountain highway and some bike trails (you can return all the way to Lynn along Mountain Highway)

The trip was around 29km (as we chose not to end our day at Grouse).

The day we went was spectacular and we started early 8 am so as to not be out there. We are experienced runners/hikers and it took us 5 hours 43 minutes (including breaks, photo ops, etc) and we ran large segments. If you plan to hike the whole thing I would leave 8 hours if you want to end at Grouse, more if you plan to do a round trip.

I personally would not venture out alone (it is marked reasonably well but at some points we had to stop and make sure we are on the trail). Once you cross the metal suspension bridge, you are in back country and there is no easy way off the mountain should something happen. Go with a group or at least a few people who know what they are doing and be prepared.

There is a viewpoint at the bottom of Hanes Valley, but the most spectacular views come, after a boulder scramble/hike which took us about an hour give or take.

I carried a handheld and a hydration pack of approximately one litre. I refilled the handheld at the creek - I estimate that I drank about three handhelds full and most of the hydration pack (it was a warm day).

It is definitely a hike run worth doing, as the views are out of this world. It is a challenging route - and if you are looking for a casual easy hike this is not it.

Posted: August 10, 2014 04:11:27 PM PST

Ron from Vancouver writes:

In my earlier posting below, I made the mistake of indicating that one should go right on the boulder field. That is incorrect. Go towards the left when starting to climb up the boulder field. As I mentioned below, there is sufficient flag markings, so don't proceed up until you find the next marking.

The views of Hanes Valley and of Crown Mountain are superb!

Posted: August 7, 2014 11:12:10 PM PST

Ron from Vancouver writes:

We hiked Hanes Valley on August 7, 2014. The creek crossing was fine - the two logs were dry and wide enough to easily walk on to cross the creek.

When climbing the boulder field, ensure you keep right and look for tape/flag markers. We made the mistake of going up towards Crown Mountain and were about 3/4 up before we realized we went up the wrong boulder field. The correct boulder field has lots of markers.

The rest of the trail, after the boulder field, is steep but not at all scary. The entire trail is well marked. Enjoy!

Posted: August 7, 2014 11:09:06 PM PST

Tessa from North Vancouver writes:

Yesterday (sunday 6 Oct) was perfect weather for a good hike, so my friend and me did Hanes Valley. I guess this is the last week this year that it is still safe to do it; there where only a few patches of snow between Crown mt. junction and Goat mt. junction, but it might get more soon.
                                                We are both experienced hikers and have hiked a decent amount in the summer. It took us 6,5 hours from the Parking lot to the Grouse mt. area, only taking a few short stops. (Maybe half an hour in total)

I would absolutely recommend this hike to strong hikers to do it. It is hard and strenuous, but also beautiful and fun! Very beautiful surroundings and diverse landscapes and views.
                                                There are some challenges like walking over a (very slippery!) tree across the Lynn creek, conquering the boulder field and getting up the slippery muddy rocks, but that makes this trail a great adventure!
                                                For those with short legs, it helps if you are flexible. The steps can be quite big.

At this time of year there where no black flies or mosquitoes!

We disliked ending up on Grouse Mt. between the tourists and waiting in line for the Skyride (still $10). We thought the Grizzly enclosure was terrible.
                                                I personally missed a summit. I'm guessing Goat mt. junction is the highest point you get to on this trail.

We did miss the trail to Norvan Falls. We probably missed the sign somewhere before the suspension bridge and couldn't be bothered to track back and search it.

Posted: October 7, 2013 09:59:58 AM PST