View Dilly Dally Loop Description | Add Comment

joyce from Coquitlam writes:

Do not be fooled by the number. The total elevation gain would be more than 1800m, not 1100m. Very challenging one if you are strong enough to finish the loop.

• Dilly Dally Loop photo

Posted: August 13, 2017 05:41:32 PM PST

Paul Henderson from Vancouver writes:

Hiked Dilly Dally Loop today. Didn't see a single other person on the trail until I got back to Buntzen Lake. It was hazy from the fires so the views were not spectacular. Dilly Dally is a pretty challenging hike as others have suggested with some interesting route finding. I carry a GPS and used it a lot to keep on trail and at one point I was going in completely the wrong direction (I was going counter clockwise and got confused at the first set of lakes) before figuring out where I was with the GPS. 10 hours total finishing with a dip in Buntzen Lake.

Posted: August 10, 2017 08:40:59 PM PST

Niomay from Vancouver writes:

Friend tried to do Dilly Dally today clockwise, beautiful viewpoints but there was still snow from 1000m and up and couldn't complete it without snow equipment. Three river crossings with good stone steps on the trail, just make sure to check for trail markers right across the water. Allow some extra time to pass fallen trees and branches.

Posted: July 8, 2017 08:42:50 PM PST

Dave from Toronto writes:

Attempted the trail this weekend. Started our assent from parking lot side. Could only get about an hr in before requiring snow shoes and gps.

Posted: April 9, 2017 09:18:23 PM PST

Robin B Cases from Surrey writes:

I finally got to do this one exactly a month ago on July 27. Make sure to do this hike in good weather. Though there aren’t any exposed sections, the conditions are bad enough even on a nice, warm (or super hot) sunny day. There’s quite a bit of going over and under trees. Getting to the summit is one thing but the real challenge is coming down. Of all the hikes I’ve done, this is one of the, if not the most brrrutal on the knees. Not only is it very steep but also wildly overgrown and slippery in most places. It’s unpleasant and you’ll be on your butt a lot of the time. If only the reward came after the suffering. As it states at the start of the trail, “This trail is maintained to wilderness standards only.”

Another really important thing to consider is the park hours. It is advised to start early. I hate to admit this but I miscalculated myself. Due to circumstances, I ended up starting past noon. Having done similarly hikes in the past (at least on paper), I thought I would make it in time but nope…not today. So, I ended up staying in my car for the night. The following morning, I got to talk one of the park staff who went looking for me that night. He was real nice and was genuinely concerned, didn’t seem inconvenienced at all. Shout out to them for looking after the park AND our safety.

In summary, be prepared! If you’d like to get a glimpse of this tough yet beautiful hike, here are some photos: https://www.facebook.com/robinjunyahhikes/photos/?tab=album&album_id=610049095863187

Posted: August 27, 2016 12:04:00 AM PST

Sean from Vancouver writes:

Completed the Swan Falls Loop - a good portion of the Dilly Dally loop but taking the route clockwise and heading up the very steep Swan Falls Trail, on July 23. This was our first time hiking in the area, and were extremely impressed. The initial 4kms of flat was a good warmup then the real challenge began, with 3.5km of super steep terrain with some scrambling/ropes along the way. Swan Falls (2 views) on the way up were wonderful, and a great place to top up your water, have a snack and snap some pictures.

We reached the summit of Mount Beautiful around 1:30pm and stopped for lunch and enjoyed the incredible views of Coquitlam Lake, Mount Seymour, Indian Arm and the Burrard Inlet and the city (we ate, and so did the mosquitos). Then we started our descent, which surprised us as there were a lot more "passes" (more up and downs) then expected. Trail at this point is not as well marked as the flat section along the lake or the Swan Falls trail - we needed to be careful when going around deadfall to stay on course.

When we reached Lindsay Lake there were actually two routes to choose (an easy direct route filled with tarns and blueberries), or the longer, harder route with more viewpoints. Unbeknownst to us at the time, we chose the harder route. However, the view from The Pulpit was worth it, it was my favourite of the day - incredible views looking West, down to Buntzen, Seymour, and out over the city. Worth the detour. There were some muddy/wet areas at the top, with no snow to be seen. At this point, the trail was marked much better.

The descent back down to the parking lot on the Halvor Lunden trail was steep, but much more manageable on tired legs than doing the trail in reverse, so we were happy with the direction we chose. All in all, this took us just under 10 hours to complete the 21k route. We took our time to enjoy the trail, but had to be cognizant of the time - given the park closes the gates at 8pm, building in a little buffer with an early start helped.

Loved the trail - it was challenging but achievable, with a little something for everyone.

Posted: July 26, 2016 11:42:08 AM PST

Zack from Langey writes:

Third attempt at this trail. First time took a wrong turn and went down swan falls after mount beautiful. Second time got rained out at the lower lakes.

Made it yesterday June 25. It was cloudy and even though it wasn't raining we got soaked from water on the bushes ( no avoiding it, trail gets more overgrown the further you go. ) Being totally drenched at times may be tainting my report.

Even in perfect conditions this trail is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. Route finding can be tricky at times. Some signage is deteriorated and easy to miss. Past the dilly dally peak the trail is close to not being a trail at all other than the odd marker. Lots of deadfall and very steep and slippery. Some of it is pretty big and obstructive deadfall too. You better stil have some energy to focus on your footing after 4-5 hours of decently hard hiking or you will be falling a lot.

That I said, I enjoyed the hike. It wasn't the most fun ( pretty good to mount beautiful ) but it was a mental and physical challenge. Views and being dry and less slippery would have helped if we went on a nicer day.

Took us just under 10 hours going at what felt like a decent speed for 3 reasonably fit 28 y/o males.

Posted: June 26, 2016 09:29:17 AM PST

Erika K from New Westminster writes:

Did part of this trail today with a few friends. We started at the south beach, took the Buntzen trail to North beach, connected to Powerhouse road, carried onwards to Halvor Lunden and cut into the Dilly Dally Trail/Croker Lookout. We had the intention of just going to the lookout and it was well worth it. I think it is about 17k round trip. There is a nice variation of trail in and out of the forest, with a few beautiful creeks and waterfalls to pass (it is a bit slippery at parts though, use caution). The trail is quite over grown in parts and frankly a little dodgy in some spots. I was pretty certain we'd run into wild life but we didn't, in fact we didn't even see a single person from the Halvor trail on. The lookout is a nice spot to have lunch, with another quick detour over to little horn mountain peak (there is a lot of tree overgrowth here, so it's not much of view, but in-between trees, it's beautiful). Keeping a slower pace up the dilly dally trail (as you gain 300+m elevation, in a short 1.5km distance), in total, the hike took us about three hours there and two hours back with a short break for lunch. (But i'm sure you could do it in 4 if you can endure a faster pace.)

Posted: June 1, 2016 07:53:18 PM PST

Hilary from New West writes:

Did this on May 23. First off, we picked the wrong day for a hike-it was drizzly and foggy all day. The words that come to mind when I think of this hike are "treacherous, tedious and boring". I'd probably be singing a different tune if it wasn't foggy, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Spotty snow through the lakes district and quite a bit of snow leading up to the tangled summit. The trail though rough in patches was pretty easy to follow. Just keep your eyes peeled for markers and go slowly. We were going to run out of time so took the Swan Falls bailout. I heard it was steep, but man was it steep. Not rock climbing steep (which was ok for me who is afraid of heights) but just unending descent - the kind where you have to grab a tree and slide one your bum to get down. And the hill seemed to go on forever. My legs were like jello by the end. The swan falls route took us 11hours and according to our gps, 26.3 km and 1440m total ascent. Keep that in mind when you're planning your visit. I hope you get a view ;)

Posted: May 24, 2016 11:36:45 AM PST

Preston Rohrick from Vancouver writes:

May 21, 2016
                    Started at parking lot and went up the Halvor Linden Trail. The trail is in great condition up to the first view point.

Pushing past the first viewpoint the trail starts to get a bit worse, although I had no problems getting to the lakes. I was going steady and made it to the first lake in about 1hr 38m.

I assumed that once I was up there it would be quite easy to get to Mt. Beautiful along the ridgeline. I UNDERESTIMATED the difficulty past this point.

The trail from St. Mary's Lake to Lindsay Lake was quite sketchy. There was still some snow and I lost the main trail a couple of times. Getting closer to Lindsay Lake it was 100% snow on the trail.

From Lindsay Lake to Mt. Beautiful it was at least 50% snow covered. The snow was still deep and it started to wear you down quite a bit. Going up was fine, but going down on slippery snow with legs getting weaker was tough. There was a large number of times where I would pop through the top layer of snow and be balls deep. I was wearing Water Resistant shoes which helped, but eventually they were completely soaked.

The trail from Lindsay Lake to Mt. Beautiful was really tough. The trail is not in very good condition and it is hard to follow especially in the snow. I found myself off the trail and shimmying on the side of a cliff once thinking that it was the trail. I ended up back tracking and using my GPS to find the trail again.

The view from Mt. Beautiful was amazing. You could see a full 360 from that point. You could see Vancouver, Burnaby and Surry. You had a great view of Indian Arm and Coquitlam Lake. The one thing you could not see was Buntzen Lake. (But you got a good view of that on the way down).

At the summit of Mt. Beautiful I had reached "450 floors" on my fitbit. To put this in perspective when I reached the first viewpoint on the way up my fitbit was at "175 floors". This is a VERY long hike. When I did the Grand Canyon I only had 400 floors from valley to rim. I reached the Summit in about 5.0 hours.

I decided to short cut via Swan Falls Trail for my return. I was running out of time as I left late. The trail is quite sketchy and not well maintained. It is much steeper than the Halvor Linden Trail. From the top of Mt. Beautiful to the bottom took me about 1hr and 45 mins. I then went as fast as I could from McCombe Lake to the parking lot on PowerLine Road. I started at 1:30pm and ended without break at 8:40pm. Total distance was 15 miles.

The hike was great, but I would recommend doing it in Mid June when the snow is all melted. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going CLOCKWISE on this hike. I would start at Swan Falls Trail or Dilly Dally FIRST, then come down Halvor Lunden. The Halvor Lunden is in much better condition.

Posted: May 22, 2016 03:41:59 PM PST

Kelly from Vancouver writes:

Went up May 2nd 2016 to do the Lindsay Lake Loop. No snow until the very top. The lakes district was covered in deep snow but compact so walkable in hiking shoes just slow. We cut out to the viewpoints and up to West Point/Pulpit as our final destination. Stunning views. We skipped Lindsay Lake cause of all the snow but if you've left enough time, it is completely doable there. It is pretty much clear of snow by the viewpoints now.

Posted: May 3, 2016 10:37:23 AM PST

Jev from Venlo writes:

I've done a bit shorter version of this walk (Swan Falls Loop) on April 3-d. The views were fantastic, however I did not expect tons of snow that were at the top. Snowshoes were not really needed as the snow was relatively hard, but I did get wet feet. High waterproof shoes would have been fine.

Posted: April 7, 2016 01:41:00 AM PST

Lu Vettese from Vancouver writes:

I didn't do all of the dilly dally loop, instead I did the "Lindsay Lake Trail" (basically half of dilly dally) on August 1. You can find it on the BC Hydro Buntzen Lake website. It's the easiest of the three trails around that region (1020m & 15km). If you are not a very experienced hiker, starting with this one will get you a taste of what you need to complete the Dilly Dally. This summer has been very dry, we didn't find much running water, the tip is to bring all of your own water. On a hot day for 15km, we needed 2 litres (it depends on how long it takes you to complete the trail as well) and brought enough food for two meals. For Dilly Dally, three meals are probably needed. Not as much bugs as I imagined, since there's barely any water for them grow in. With climate change, the landscape is changing, drying rivers and dying trees, so see it while you can.

Posted: August 2, 2015 07:53:32 AM PST

Anthony from Coquitlam writes:

Very fun hike with very rewarding views at mount beautiful. There is also a shorter route where you can head down Swan falls that sheds off around 5k which is pretty cool! Recommend this hike to anybody who has the day off and is up for the challenge.

Posted: June 17, 2015 12:36:16 PM PST