View Quarry Rock Description | Add Comment

Suze from Vancouver writes:

My first time hiking Quarry Rock trail. There's a warning sign at the beginning of the hike that shows the "do's" and "don't " while on the trail. I've attached a copy of the sign as I was taken aback at the image of the gentlemen in the turban wearing bright colours. It was nice that diversity was being shown but the image gave me reason to pause. Is it politically correct?

The trail itself is designated as easy but there are a lot of steps at the beginning and there is a steep incline. The rest of the trail was manageable and the view at the top is awesome. The only con was dogs that were off leash on the trail. The signs clearly state all dogs must be on leash. Not everyone loves dogs, so pet owners do your part and put your dogs on a leash. I almost fell over a dog a couple of times.

• Quarry Rock photo
  • Quarry Rock photo

Posted: June 13, 2017 01:53:29 PM PST

Jim brewer from North vancouver writes:

Brutally crowded with inconsiderate idiots who have no business being in the wilderness. Exotic candy wrappers thrown everywhere to add to the bags of dog excrement decorating what was a lovely trail five years ago. Now it has become much akin to any escalator at Metrotown just before Christmas, but without the luxury of power or anybody stepping to the side. You will have to wait behind grandma going at her own pace with extended family in tow. Nobody will let you by no matter how polite or rude you may be. What a dreadful shame. Oh, and there is nowhere to park unless you want to risk a ticket or the wrath of locals who are angry about their ruined neighbourhood.

Posted: May 28, 2017 03:22:48 PM PST

Eimear from Vancouver writes:

Great hike, just a pity about the people who have no regard for others. I don't think I would do this in the middle of the day again.
      - Dogs off leash are dangerous as they try to run past everyone and stop abruptly as they wait for their owners to catch up
      - people blaring their music
      -People not stepping to the side while they allow others to descend on a narrow path or bridge
      -People trying to run when clearly it is too busy to do so

Posted: May 22, 2017 12:09:45 PM PST

lee from coquitlam writes:

Great trail IF you get there early...if you arrive after say 1030-11 am on a sunny, warm Sunday. Don't expect to find parking closer than perhaps 1 km away.

Arrive early, stay long or find another trail or even take the bus..(there's a good idea lol).

Otherwise the adventure will be awesome once we can make a trail to the trail.

Thanks,

Posted: May 7, 2017 05:09:20 PM PST

Sandy from Vancouver writes:

Pros:
          - only 45 min by bus from downtown Vancouver
          - 45 min up, 30 min back down so it's a nice workout
          - trail is being taken care of, like the steps and bridges
          - lovely view

Cons:
          - lovely view, if you get the chance to approach the edge of the rock because there's dozens of people lounging
          - lots of youth go there to drink and listen to music on their speakers. Not phone speakers, actual loud speakers. They also do this while hiking so your life gets it's own soundtrack because the young man/lady decide to blast their music in the forest
          - expect a lot of people who don't respect the nature and other hikers or don't know how to behave in nature
          - tourists with inappropriate gear i.e. high heel boots, loafers, purse and coffee to go in their hand. Hazzard to themselves and others (few of them slipped on the wet stairs)
          - if the responsible want less people to come by car, they should take care of more frequent buses or bigger buses. 10 or so of us were left behind in Phibbs exchange because the connecting bus to downtown was too small for everyone. Had to wait additional 30 min.

Conclusion: because this trail is marked as easy, too many people decide to hike. It's an actual hike, for which you need at least sneakers especially after rain and a backpack for all your rubbish. All of the above happens on sunny weekends and every day in the summer. It's a good quick excerise, but next time i'll go when it's raining or super early in the morning.

Posted: May 1, 2017 04:59:41 PM PST

Ed from Richmond writes:

Not an actual easy hike as the elevations go up and down. It was too many people so it wasn't enjoyable. The view on the rock is nice. Not suitable for small dogs. Many dogs are off leash which I find dangerous for the dogs as a dog owner myself. Also the sign clearly says dogs should be on leash.

Posted: April 18, 2017 08:59:08 AM PST

Julia Rohan from Knowlton, Quebec writes:

I'm a 64 year-old female couch potato who left behind the snow and double-digit minus temperatures of March to visit my son and his fiancée in Vancouver. They brought me to Deep Cove to do the Quarry Rock hike because of its "Easy" designation. I wasn't sure I would make it all the to the rock because of the climb, but I took it easy and stopped to rest frequently to let young folk pass me, many with kids and dogs. Unfortunately, my own kid didn't warn me to bring water or a little snack to eat at the top, and we flew past the warning sign at the bottom. I was very thirsty when we got to the rock, but enjoyed the view regardless it was a sunny Sunday and there scads of people enjoying the day there. To other non-hikers in dubious shape like me, take heart. The trip down was a breeze and much more fun than the trip up. And the water and snack I got back in Deep Cove tasted divine.

Posted: March 20, 2017 04:18:07 AM PST

Lion Tamer from Vancouver writes:

Hiked on March 3rd.

Quarry rock is a pleasant little hike on a well maintained trail. Some fairly consistent up/down makes for a decent workout. A couple tips for doing this hike:
                - Deep Cove gets shockingly busy on warm weekend days, and does not have the parking to accommodate demand. Try nearby Dog Mountain which should open in early summer.
                - A second viewpoint can be found a mere 5 minutes down from the rock itself (next to the tower with the power lines). Make sure you experience the views from both.
                - There are quite a few points where unofficial none trails veer off the main trail, if confused the main trail is the one to the right.

This hike is a bad choice if your ultimate goal of hiking involves isolation, we passed quite a few people even on this rainy weekday morning. The views of deep cove and the Indian Arm are nice enough to make the trek worthwhile, but nothing so unique around Vancouver. In early spring when many trails are closed this is a great choice, however if this is one of your few sunny summer weekends, better spend it on a different trail.

• Quarry Rock photo

Posted: March 3, 2017 04:16:12 PM PST

Silvia from Burnaby writes:

Love this hike. It allows me to get away and exercise in peace when I don't have time for a longer hike. The very first time I completed this hike, it took me almost 2 hours roundtrip. I found it difficult. As I kept going back in the summer almost everyday, I cut my time down to 50 mins roundtrip and I often run it. It is really an ideal hike in every way; offers an excellent workout, during the week there aren't too many people around, the trial is well maintained, some parts are more challenging than others which makes the hike more interesting and you can look forward to a great view at the top. I would recommend hiking shoes as there are a lot of exposed tree roots, but I have often gone in just runners.

• Quarry Rock photo

Posted: February 27, 2017 10:51:42 PM PST

Alysha VanDelft from Guelph on writes:

Dangerous semi fallen tree

• Quarry Rock photo

Posted: February 26, 2017 12:49:06 PM PST

Fama from Winnipeg writes:

Fun hike. It says easy but there's some parts that will be tough on the legs, overall it's a good workout. Great view at the end. Quality first time hike for me, not too hard and not too easy.

Posted: January 25, 2017 02:27:42 PM PST

Eric from Courtice writes:

Excellent trail, stunning views of the cove and the rainforest. Trail says its short but you will take awhile with all the views. Double that time if you have a dog/dogs cause everyone has a pup on this trail!

Posted: January 20, 2017 12:52:51 PM PST

Nathan Peters from Coquitlam writes:

This was a nice short hike near a beautiful park with a fantastic view.

Posted: September 10, 2016 09:44:47 AM PST

Vanessa from Burnaby writes:

My boyfriend and I did this hike August 21st around dinner time. It was quite busy on the trail but not busy enough to feel crowded. The trail is well marked and built, and there is always room to let faster groups and trail runners by. There are a lot of stairs at the beginning, we took breaks as we needed them and saw others doing the same.

The trail is quite beautiful and the viewpoint at the end is gorgeous. It's more up and down than other hikes we have done, rather than a steady incline. We would do this hike again, and would still try to go on less busy times.

• Quarry Rock photo

Posted: August 29, 2016 10:25:58 AM PST

R from vancouver writes:

Went up on July 30, 2106 (Sat). My 16 year old daughter, who is in good shape, made it up in about 35 mins, down in 20. I, on the other hand, am pear shaped, made it up in 50ish minutes, and down in about 55.
                              I would have taken even longer going up but I felt a little rushed by all the people who were also going up. Very nice view. I could do with a little less crowd, but I guess I can understand why the place is so popular. And you can get refreshments at Deep Cove when you are done. I think I will be back.

Posted: August 1, 2016 12:16:05 PM PST

Anonymous from Vancouver writes:

Hiked this trail this morning. Was hoping to beat the crowds when we started around 11 but was super busy already. Brought a packed lunch to eat on the top of the to rock. It looked a lot quieter as we headed back. Tons of small children out there today which was quite surprising considering the terrain and elevation. Other than the crowds it was a beautiful hike from start to finish. Definitely not "easy". Can't wait to go back.

Posted: July 25, 2016 12:45:40 AM PST

Tara from West Vancouver writes:

Beautiful unobstrocted view! So much fun hiking there. Lots of shade so no need to worry about the sun. Absolutely amazing for the family! Defenatly recommend!

Posted: July 10, 2016 02:13:12 PM PST

Myra from Langley writes:

Great day hike in the city with a spectacular view. Love hanging out on the rocks having my loads of "healthy snacks" ???????? I make it a point to go here every year.

Posted: June 25, 2016 02:01:57 PM PST

Carollyn Fontana from Round Rock, Texas writes:

Hiked up to Quarry Rock with my friend. "Easy" is not what we would rate this hike. Loved it even though we were soaked thru by the time we finished. Worth every stair step and root!

Posted: June 22, 2016 11:16:19 PM PST

Jeff from Whitby, ON writes:

trails was quite busy, and my old knees complained at the climbing. the view was spectacular though...worth every step.

Posted: June 19, 2016 02:46:39 AM PST

Anna from Toronto writes:

Went on a hike with my sister today. Was told difficulty level was easy. It was definitely NOT easy, I would say more of intermediate. Maybe to vancouverites it's at a difficulty level of easy since they probably hike all the time with all the parks they have available. A lot of stairs and a lot of elevated areas you have to go through to get to the end. The view at the end was quite nice, takes longer to get up then to get down.

Posted: June 11, 2016 11:47:18 PM PST

Anna from West Vancouver writes:

I went on this hike today thinking it would be such a nice walk and amazing view.... little did I know an hour into the hike I was completely lost... There is a complete lack of signs and no direction as to where you need to go and i would suggest putting new signs up allowing it to be more self explanatory. Overall not satisfied with this trail.

Posted: June 5, 2016 11:02:28 PM PST

Gary Ponting from Delta, BC writes:

A great destination but on a sunny day a bit of a highway of people and dogs to get there. I did a bit of exploring and found a different route that offers a longer hike in the forest but also significantly easier parking. You will notice on the map included with this hike a trail just above the main route. The trailhead being the intersection of Cliffmont Rd and Cliffwood Road. It is a quiet residential area with lots of street parking.

The first 50' of the trail are a paved city path cutting through the neighborhood but just before you pass the first culvert (almost directly behind the houses) you cut right up into the trees to the wood trail. The trail is not as nicely manicured as the Baden Powell but easily navigable as you slowly climb and head north along the ridge. There are a few streams to cross but all are easily done without wet feet. There are also a few paths that link up from other neighborhoods so I suggest using GPS to stay on the correct path the first time. There are two main intersections that may be of interest. The first heads right and down the hill and connects with the Baden Powell near the top of the initial climb. May be used as part of a loop that includes the original trail. The second is not shown on the map but is a left (currently marked with mound of rocks on a stump) that takes you up to the three way intersection of this trail, Indian River Drive, and the Baden Powell (beyond Quarry Rock). Take the Baden Powell south and it will drop back down the hill to the area just behind Quarry Rock. Relax on the rock and either back-track the way you came or take the loop mentioned above or create your own.

This route ends up being just shy of 8.0km with 303m of elevation gain.

One last point on the left intersection (with the pile of rocks). I have not continued straight so not sure where the trail meets or terminates. An adventure for another day. There are also some other unmarked trails that come in and out to explore.

Posted: June 3, 2016 11:34:28 AM PST

Cheryl Linsley from Coquitlam writes:

Beautiful views but it was like walking through a mall at Christmas! Crazy busy, in places you couldn't even stop to admire the trees because the next hikers were so close behind.

Posted: May 24, 2016 10:12:05 AM PST

Moses from Vancouver writes:

Too many people! A lot of dog shit all the way and a lot of dogs unleashed running everywhere despite the signs. For those who love stairs I would recommend the fire exit of your own building, I bet this will be wilder than Quarry Rock.

Posted: May 8, 2016 01:43:38 PM PST

Rehana from New Westminster writes:

I hiked Quarry Rock on Monday, and would probably place it between easy and intermediate because of the stairs (ie. this is not a flat trail). Quarry Rock is definitely a popular trail, and not one I would recommend if you're hoping to enjoy a quiet moment in the forest but still nice to have it checked off on your hiking list.

Pros:
                                                    Interesting hike with roots and rocks to traverse, stairs to get your heart rate up, beautiful forest surrounding you the whole way, nice view from Quarry Rock, and cute village to stroll through before or after your hike.

Cons:
                                                    Very busy/popular trail, limited parking (can't imagine what it's like on the weekend), garbage on the trail.

Posted: May 3, 2016 06:41:33 PM PST

Jane Enastauer from Vancouver writes:

It was nice ten years ago. Totally ruined now.
                                                      ANYTHING in Lynn Valley or West Van is better.
                                                      FAAAR too crowded and nowhere to park, with local parking only anywhere near any entrance to the trail except for an always full parking lot , unclear parking signage and very frequent bylaw officer checks mean parking tickets every day of the week and locals having cars towed if they are closer than 10 feet to a driveway.
                                                      Frequent thefts from vehicles in this area according to RCMP.

Also too many aggressive dogs not on leashes and bags of their droppings every step of the way. Seriously, you cannot take a photo on the trail without a poo bag bombing it.

Posted: April 18, 2016 05:38:43 PM PST

David from Vancouver writes:

I have had two varying experiences of Quarry Rock, my first was a weekend in spring 2015, my second was a weekday in spring 2016. My first involved parking outside people's houses 1km away from the start of the hike. the walk itself was very busy and the rock at the top was pretty full of people. Although enjoyable, too many people tend to sour my mood! Fast forward a year and I park up in car park right next the main high street there, enjoyable walk again but with only tens of people doing the walk. My 9lb terrier makes short work of this hike but he seems to really enjoy the off leash nature of it all. There were only a handful of people at the top and we spent some time up on the rock and took in the view, as it should be. Poop bin only at the start, as you would expect. Links up well with the Baden Powell trail if you want to continue. I think we took about 1h:20 to get up and down.

Posted: April 12, 2016 12:52:15 PM PST

Rory Green from Burnaby writes:

Pro's:
                                                          - Great view
                                                          - Easy to find
                                                          - Cute town to wander around after / grab lunch after
                                                          - Great hike for an out-of-town guest
                                                          - Parking
                                                          - You won't get lost
                                                          - Lots of adorable dogs (I guess this could be a con if you don't like dogs)
                                                          - Kid friendly

Con's
                                                          - Parking lots FILL UP so come early if you are driving
                                                          - Very popular trail, very very poplaur - not the best choice if you are looking to be alone in nature

Posted: March 29, 2016 12:30:49 PM PST

Deb from white rock writes:

Dec 29 2015, anyone know the conditions to do the quarry rock hike this week? is there snow, or quite hikable??

Posted: December 29, 2015 12:50:59 PM PST

Cheryl Long from Aldergrove writes:

We brought our good friends on a hike with us . First visit for all of us and definitely a great choice! The very beginning set of stairs got our heart rates going but as we got our wind we were fine. As a nature photographer I took my time along the route and enjoyed every minute of the sights and sounds ! We all liked the variety of ups and downs along the trail ..and the view up top was spectacular! Will definitely come back!

Posted: November 24, 2015 12:20:32 AM PST

michael from portland, oregon writes:

Hiked the trail on 11/15/2015, on a clear day.
                                                                At the quarry rock, the view was a pleasant surprise.

Posted: November 18, 2015 04:36:43 PM PST

Tak McT. from Vancouver writes:

Easy/quick hike

- Busy due to proximity and accessibility. There will most likely be people at Quarry Rock enjoying the view with you.
                                                                  - Runners are fine so long as you're careful with your footing. I'd think boots would almost be overkill for this hike, so long as you're not slipping while traversing over the roots (there's lots of them)
                                                                  - Can't get lost, lots of markers, single path
                                                                  - Most "difficult" part of the hike is all the tree roots. Take is slow and easy while you traverse over them to not lose footing or rolling an ankle

Posted: September 17, 2015 04:33:30 AM PST

Audrey from Aldergrove writes:

Beautiful hike - awesome view! We took our kids with us and they found it fun and easy to hike as well - even our two year old. Glad I did it, but will not do it again due to the amount of people along the trails - makes it a touch like rush hour.

Posted: September 6, 2015 11:32:41 AM PST

IronCore from North Vancouver writes:

Great hike but I don't know if you would rate this hike easy or on this website what defines an easy hike but I can tell you there are lots of stairs, uphill walk and lots and lots of stones and exposed roots so in my experienced opinion, you can't call it easy as people who typically hike won't find it easy. Specially kids. There was a sign that says that in oct 2015, they district will be working on making the trail more easy for trekking as well as installing paths over major rock and root areas.

Posted: September 5, 2015 01:42:31 PM PST

melina from vancouver bc writes:

What does the trail close at if it even closes?

Posted: July 14, 2015 12:38:03 PM PST

Vania from Vancouver writes:

I love this hike because it is transit friendly and can be done quickly. However, I gave 3 stars because the trail is too crowded, so it makes it hard to keep the pace when you encounter a big group of people, and the last couple times I've been up there I was saddened to see littering at the top. The view of Indian Arm over there is beautiful, no doubt of that! As for terrain, typical north shore. Watch out for roots, rocks and loose dirt, especially in dry weather, gets very slippery!

Posted: July 2, 2015 11:49:48 AM PST

Robyn Petrik from Port Coquitlam writes:

I would consider this hike more difficult than 'easy' because there are quite a few uphill sections, and lots of exposed roots and rocks. The trail was crowded, and it took a group of four us 40 minutes to reach the rock. The view was definitely worth the hike (https://instagram.com/p/4mne3NosmK), and we enjoyed sitting up there taking photos for a while.

I would recommend checking this hike out, but be sure to give yourself lots of time to park as it gets very busy in Deep Cove and parking spots are limited. Leave time for after your hike and grab food from Deep Cove Pizza and Honey Donuts.

4 stars only because the parking lots and trail are overcrowded.

Posted: July 1, 2015 07:10:53 PM PST

Nancy from Vancouver writes:

I like this trail. It's easy, relaxing and has a beautiful view. But was pretty crowded even though we got there at 11 am.

Posted: June 29, 2015 11:05:21 PM PST

Nat from Vancouver writes:

4 stars for the view/setting. Quite a crowded parking area and trail in the warmer months so that may be off putting for some. Easy classification is fair for someone who is reasonably active but there are quite a lot of stairs which were tiring for those in the group who don't normally exercise.

Posted: June 17, 2015 09:46:17 AM PST

lorraine from Coquitlam writes:

Ditto Jeff's remarks. We went on Sat June 13 at 10am. Full parking lot, needed to wait 5 mins for a spot, not too bad. Really disappointed with ALL the doggy poop bags on the route (disgusting). I love dogs & seeing them on the trail, but really?? If you want to bring your dog, carry out the POOP!! Way too many people to enjoy the peace & quiet of the forest, but the view was spectacular. Again, disappointed with the small bits of garbage on the rock. It's off the bucket list, won't go again til quieter season.

Posted: June 15, 2015 06:47:35 AM PST

jeff from dundas ontario writes:

I am in pretty good shape and wouldn't consider this easy. Lots of ups and downs and too many roots and rocks for my liking. I already know what my shoes look like and this trail requires a constant look out for hazards and therefore less looking around. I stopped more than most who were around me in order to take things in and snap some photographs. The end is nice but even on a Monday morning the trail was very busy and the locals who walk their dogs leave their pet pooh in bags on the trail. Quarry Rock itself is littered with garbage and on a Monday was packed. I wouldn't drive too far to get here.

Posted: June 4, 2015 08:27:35 PM PST

Kathy from Vancouver writes:

I just got really into nature trails last year and I've explored quite a few in North Van. This was my first time out here in Deep Cove and I really enjoyed it. The beginning of the trail was difficult as you're warming up, increasing your heart-rate and climbing the hardest part and most inclined part of the hike. But the rest is easy, a few stairs up a few stairs down. The view was worth it and we jogged back down. Rough on the ankles and knees but super easy!

Posted: May 12, 2015 10:39:35 PM PST

Judy from Burnaby writes:

This hike is just way to busy. There are way too many people and its a constant battle to get around big groups. It really takes away from the enjoyment of the hike. The benefit of this trail is that you do get a great lookout at the end, and its close to the city.

Posted: May 11, 2015 08:45:39 PM PST

Sarah from Richmond writes:

This hike is definitely on the more difficult end of "easy". There were a lot more uphill portions than I expected and the trail is often a little challenging to navigate due to tree roots and rocks. That being said, the viewpoint is absolutely beautiful. We went on Saturday May 9th and shared the trail with many other hikers. We found parking approximately 10 minutes away from the trail head on a residential street.

Posted: May 10, 2015 08:00:46 PM PST

Sebastian Merz from Vancouver writes:

Parking can be a big challenge during the summer months.

The District of North Vancouver is currently looking for a solution and is seeking input from hikers. A public dialogue is happening on February 21st. Find out more and sign up here: http://dnv.org/deepcove

Posted: February 5, 2015 10:49:00 AM PST

A Local from North Vancouver writes:

The trail is a great way to get in shape . I did it with my 23-year old brother and we ran the whole thing in 35 minutes. Say what!! There is a mix of uphill and downhill. Watch for mud and puddles.:)

Posted: September 2, 2014 05:05:55 PM PST

Jane from Vancouver writes:

Hiked this on Aug 3/2014 with hubby and our 4 month old strapped to my chest. Took us 50 mins from car park up to Quarry Rock. We walked at a fairly slow/cautious pace as we were with a baby. The trail is beautiful and the rock itself a wonderful spot. We started at 7:30am and by the time we started to descend down (9:15am) the trail had begun to get busy, which made it harder with the baby. When we got back to the car (10:15am)there were at least 3 cars of people asking for our spot. Arrive early for parking and a less busy trail. *We also strongly recommend Honey's for coffee and donuts for a post-hike breakfast!*

Posted: August 6, 2014 02:13:28 PM PST

Justin from Richmond writes:

Easily my favourite short hike of the summer.

There are a couple free parking lots and street parking but due to the popularity of the hike and Deep Cove in general, the lots fill up quickly.

The first part of the hike is a little difficult but gets easier as you go along. Due to the popularity of the hike and it being well marked, the path is quite easy to follow. Once you reach the end, you're rewarded with a beautiful view of the water.

Posted: August 5, 2014 01:32:43 PM PST

Meg from North Van writes:

There are definitely nicer trails in North Van- any of the BP sections or Lynn Canyon. The trail is crowded and parking is impossible on weekends. However, the view at the end is not to be missed. If you are from out of town you must add this to your list!

Posted: July 10, 2014 04:43:18 PM PST

Lorrie from North Vancouver writes:

Panorama Drive has just switched to Residence Only parking. Sunny weekends can be busy and the parking is limited. Transit is a great choice as the bus loop is less than half a kilometre from the trail head.

Posted: June 24, 2014 05:08:53 PM PST

twan69 from west vancouver hell ya writes:

i love this hike!!!!!! its so much fun i love it so much omg. great place to bring girls ;)
                                                                                                        xo

Posted: May 25, 2014 12:27:16 PM PST

Vanessa from Vancouver writes:

I really like this hike! It was very satisfying - difficult enough to be a challenge (and feel slightly sore the next day) but not too hard that you feel discouraged. It's far enough of out the city, but not too far. And you are rewarded with a scenic view at the top.

I went with my dog too - he's a 12-pound fluffy pomeranian, and even he was able to do the hike.

By the way, I did this hike in the rain (and it even started hailing).

Posted: March 31, 2014 01:51:06 PM PST

Pat from Deep Cove writes:

Great hike. Am over 70. I've been doing this since it was a rough trail with logs, not bridges and stairs. It was a great trail when I was a kid but more a local trail. It is now open to just about everyone who likes a friendly hike with a beautiful view. Take tourist friends here and to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and they will have good memories of the beauty of the North Shore... Stop at Honey's for the donuts too!

Posted: March 22, 2014 10:11:32 AM PST

Corey from Vancouver writes:

Hiked today. Trail in good condition, with only a few large puddles which are easily avoidable. It is definitely easier after the first initial 5 or 10 minute climb. The nice thing is that there are so many bridges to take a breathing break on.

The hike is "easy" because it's so easy to access is and it's obvious where the actual trail is (they've really improved the tree markings and railings lately). There are a number of "ups" followed by "downs" though. Don't let the "easy" rating fool you into thinking this is a walk in Stanley Park. Even though it's short and "easy", it's still a hike!

Five stars because it is doable but has intensity at multiple points so you do feel like you've worked at the end, it's easy to get to using local transit, and there are things to see along the way to Quarry Rock. Extra awesome goes to it being right near a beach and playground that have bathrooms, because in the summer it's nice to be able to hang at the beach or in the water after.

Posted: December 26, 2013 06:47:17 PM PST

Kevin from Burnaby writes:

I did this hike with 5 grade 6 & 7 students today. I chose this hike precisely because it was the first 'hike' for most of them. It has a very good mix of challenging and easy parts for the beginner. The view impressed even them and the fact that we could see where we left from was a nice little teaching tool.

Posted: October 30, 2013 04:09:34 PM PST

Tammy from North Vancouver writes:

Did this trail today with my 14 year old son and his friend. We got to the rock in about 45 minutes, and that was with all the traffic in the way (lots of kids, some older people) that slowed us down a bit. The view was worth every step! Coming back was much quicker as it is mostly downhill. A fairly easy hike after the first steep incline. Just watch closely for roots and rocks all over the path; you could easily twist an ankle.

Posted: October 27, 2013 03:49:52 PM PST

Rick from Vancouver writes:

I like this hike.
                                                                                                                    The average person younger than 50 will get up to the top in 30-40 minutes

I did it in 35 minutes.
                                                                                                                    The first 10 minutes is really steep. Step after step. Then there is about 15 minutes of almost level walking.. slight incline..but no problem at all for anyone. Then there is a 5 minute steep decline followed by an immediate 5 minute incline (these parts are slippery because no steps or roots, just loose dirt, ive seen people wipe out here)
                                                                                                                    After the short decline and incline part you're at the top ...beautiful view.

Excellent hike for beginners in my opinion.

Posted: August 19, 2013 11:05:27 AM PST

Ulrike from Vancouver writes:

I did the trail today, takes just a bit more than an hour both ways and the view over Indian Arm is worth it, to hang out on the rock for a while. The trail is a bit dusty with the dry weather. Lots of people and that on a Thursday.

Posted: August 8, 2013 05:48:35 PM PST

Elizabeth from Burnaby writes:

I am a 40 year old woman, recently quit smoking and a bit overweight but have been hiking around Lynn Canyon for a few months now. My 13 year old daughter and I hiked this trail for the 1st time a few days ago and I would not say it is easy. My daughter ran ahead of me the whole time but at the end said it was similiar to a short Grouse Grind, especially at the beginning. It is straight up right from the start for about the 1st 10 minutes. You will definately be warmed up immediately. After that it's okay for a bit but then you are working up a sweat again. The feeling afterward is that of accomplishment for sure.

Posted: August 8, 2013 08:00:05 AM PST

mick from vancouver writes:

This is a great short trail to fill a couple of hours on a sunny summer day. A beautiful short walk through the trees followed by a fabulous view of Indian Arm. Very little vertical involved. All in all one of the nicest walks on the north shore.

Posted: July 14, 2013 04:51:41 PM PST

Leah from East Van writes:

I hiked this in October. For those of us in our 20s, this was a breeze; just enough variation in the terrain to be interesting and a bit of a workout, but not too hard at all.

However, I brought along my mother in her early 60s and she had a very difficult time with it. She is quite fit, but has some balance problems and a bad knee. She managed to finish it, and the view from the top was well worth the effort, but we agreed that it shouldn't be described as "easy."

This is NOT an appropriate trail for people with balance difficulties or bad joints; there are spots where you have to clamber over some roots and stuff that can be hard for older folks.

Posted: April 26, 2013 12:11:29 AM PST

Doug_e_frsh from Burnaby writes:

Hiked it on March 2nd, couldn't believe how busy it was. Had trouble finding anywhere to park. It is quite a nice little trail with a nice view at the end but probably not worth it unless you live in the area.

Posted: March 11, 2013 06:24:51 PM PST

John from Cloverdale writes:

Did this hike on Feb 16, 2013. Trail was fairly packed (approx one group ever 100-200m), so if you're looking for a quiet hike I would suggest trying somewhere else.

The terrain was very manageable and I had no issues. Trails were all clearly visible and marked. The main challenge was watching your footings as you navigate the tree roots and rocks in the very beginning of the hike.

The view from Quarry Rock was very nice and well worth the time to see.

Total Distance Traveled (there and back): 4.28km
                                                                                                                                Altitude (Min/Max): 4m / 113m
                                                                                                                                Total Round-Trip Time: 1h 12m 55s

Posted: February 18, 2013 04:47:26 PM PST

Jeremy from Langley writes:

It's a great little hike, and the view is well worth it!

Posted: February 3, 2013 12:27:18 PM PST

Jane from Vancouver writes:

Beautiful view but when we were hiking, I slipped a lot because of loose rocks.

Posted: September 6, 2012 06:16:56 PM PST

Karen from Maine writes:

Hiked this trail about two weeks ago. Very similar to many hikes in Maine - lots of exposed tree roots and somewhat rocky & muddy conditions. Would say this is a fairly easy hike, but those with tricky knees will need to take extra care and/or use hiking poles for the steeper places. Not an appropriate hike for small children - several families were carrying their young ones down from the top. Round trip about 2 1/2 hrs with 40 minutes of that spent at the top. It's very picturesque up there, so take your camera! It's a great trail and a must-do if you are visiting the Vancouver area.

Posted: August 7, 2012 01:12:23 PM PST

Mke from Coquitlam writes:

Awesome hike. Did it for the first time today. One of the best pay offs, in terms of view, of any hike I've done in the Lower Mainland so far. Great mix of uphill and downhill sections. Perfect trail for timed exercise or a slower paced hike, whichever use suits you. Only down side was the rain storm we got caught in! But hey, luck of the draw living in beautiful BC!

PS The community of Deep Cove is one of Greater Vancouver's hidden gems. Great place to spend the afternoon, post hike!

Posted: June 3, 2012 02:12:39 AM PST

RoniavariaLar from Boden writes:

Hi gents,

I have been searching for a handyman in Poland (I have been living as well as working in this country for two years now) and was wondering if you've encountered anyone worth recommending. On friday I run into a company known as Hydraulik-Lodz.pl that is located exactly where I live - in Lodz. Have you heard of them? You may check them out here: bialy montaz

I need these folks to help me with a leaky sink.

I'd love to hear back from you

Kudos

Posted: November 25, 2011 07:56:17 AM PST

colette ferland from blind river ontario writes:

i did the hike in 2002 it was a nice sunny day what a nice view and after all that hiking you go for a donut to fill you more energy and calories .It worth it

Posted: October 28, 2011 01:17:25 PM PST

adith dore from north vancouver writes:

I just did this hike today. I had my 3month old strapped to my front and we did it in 2 hours round trip...this is for sure not an easy trail. I would say it is more on the intermediate side of easy,

Posted: September 14, 2011 06:43:07 PM PST

Andrea from Burnaby writes:

Melanie, it's Honey's Cafe on the main street in Deep Cove. The donuts are to die for!! They are famous for them :) About this hike. It's lovely, lots of up and down, stairs and some tricky parts with lots of roots. Not much elevation gain but the ups and downs make for a good workout, especially at the outset. If you go at a good clip and spend a little time at the Rock, it's about 1:30. One hour, as mentioned by some, is moving fast and not stopping for long to take in the view. A nice hike but very busy during the day, especially if sunny and on weekends..go early to avoid the crowds! It is off leash for dogs just past the start of it. The Baden Powell trail heading West goes through Mt. Seymour Park, which is not off leash....although many do let their dogs off. Happy hiking everyone :)

Posted: September 2, 2011 12:01:38 AM PST

Urban Girl from North Vancouver writes:

This is the BEST local quick hike. Great trail and the view from the rock is spectacular. My family does it regularly and our best time is 40 minutes round-trip (not running). Proper footwear and water is a must. We've seen tourists with flip flops, heels and even barefeet hiking this trail. It's best to do this hike after work (before dark) or early morning as there are less people on the trail and you will be able to find parking. It can get very busy on summer weekends in Deep Cove. Happy hiking.

Posted: August 25, 2011 01:43:11 PM PST

Virginia from North Vancouver writes:

I agreed, this is more an intermediate level hike, parts of it demand more from the hikers. To be on the safe side, it's wise to wear good hiking shoes, as much as some just had clothing is 'very' recommended. I just finished it today in mid August weather, I sweat a lot! Bring water with you, it is needed. The view from Quarry Rock is worth all the hard work hiking uphill. I find that downhill is actually challenging to me, as it needs different muscles of my legs. Approx. 1 hour each way from the Deep Cove starting point to the Quarry Rock. I saw some kids made it there with their parents, but they felt tired as they reached the Rock. I just had a foot surgery done in March this year for my Right foot. I used to like hiking (easy level) a lot, missed it for almost 3 years due to foot pain. I decided to challenge my operated foot as to how well it is performing after the surgery. It reacts good going uphill, and downhill needs more effort as it demands all my lower feet muscles which is where my foot surgery incision was. Overall, I managed ok after a foot surgery to hike this challenging trail. May be in a couple of months when my R foot will be in an even better shape, I can feel better downhill. I saw people ran along the trail, and they do made it less than 2 hours both ways. I have to say those are more experienced runners and hikers.

Posted: August 13, 2011 12:52:06 AM PST

C from Vancouver writes:

I love this hike! Have done it twice with my 22 month old son. The first time took us an hour and a half to get up, but it was pretty muddy. Went again yesterday and shaved half an hour off of our time. He does most of it himself, except for the really big stairs. I think it would take us less time if he wasn't after picking up all the rocks!

Posted: July 28, 2011 09:25:27 PM PST

Christy from Langley writes:

I recently did this hike for my very first time, and very first hike ever, and I found it challenging. There are alot of uneven footing with extensive tree roots.
                                                                                                                                                        I am sure that the very fit people do this hike in under an hour both ways - but it took my husband and I two hours.
                                                                                                                                                        It was lovely when we reached the top, and I intend to keep pushing myself to better my time, but I found the comments on this site were misleading.

Posted: July 25, 2011 02:37:54 PM PST

Bandeets from Vancouver writes:

@Zoe--I agree with the previous post that this hike can be done in under an hour round trip. I also question the accuracy of this site claiming it to be a 2 hour hike--even a turtle could do it under an hour!

Posted: July 14, 2011 12:35:24 AM PST

Zoe Raffard from Vancouver writes:

my hiking club is looking to do this hike. But is it really only 2 hours? We have kids aged 5-10 in our group. We did lynn canyon last week so can do stairs/bridges easily.

Posted: July 13, 2011 07:22:33 PM PST

Tina from Richmond writes:

I love Quarry rock, it is almost a weekly hike if not at least twice a week hike! However, the only downfall is nice weekends when it is packed with people. If you don't mind the crowd, it'll be great hike!

Also, I'm not sure how accurate this website is, but it usually takes me under an hour for a round-trip and I don't run it or anything.

Posted: May 15, 2011 11:10:20 PM PST

Liz from Delta, BC writes:

We walked to the rock with 3 generations of family on Mother's Day (including my preteen daughter, who hates hiking, and my 69 year old mother).We all made it to the rock in a couple of hours. We took our time to enjoy the wonderful views, waterfalls, bird songs and peace (yes, peace, even though it was very busy!). We also enjoyed watching people stagger to the top, then hurtle themselves back down to the bottom as fast as possible (I think a lot of them missed a lot that there was to see and hear! - anyhow - whatever lights your fire, guys!). Everyone was sensible and considerate as at points the trail is narrow (only had to stop abruptly for one guy who was insensible from fatigue - his girlfriend behind him apologised for him). Also, we did not know it was an off-leash area for dogs (all trail signs are contrary to this), but had no problem with dogs that were off-leash - all were under control (it would be a nightmare for an owner whose dog wasn't under good control - lots of hazards just off trail, and lots of people watching their step). Deep Cove is a very pretty town - lots of great eateries to choose from to rest and refuel afterwards.rnAll-in-all a great day out!

Posted: May 8, 2011 08:32:06 PM PST

Justyna from N Vancouver writes:

This is an up & coming "Deep Cove Grind". Perhaps this site can create a category of trails which have become avid training regimes for runners and/or for non-controlled off-leash dogs? I went to the lookout a few times on weekends in the past month, and my hiking guests & I were nearly trampled by the two respective categories on many occasions :-(

Is it possible to have this sign posted? "Please pick up after your dog and take all waste back to the Deep Cove area to dispose in bear proof garbage bins." I've never seen so much excrement on a trail before! Are the runners too busy to pick up after their dogs?

Posted: May 1, 2011 07:23:16 PM PST

Martin from North Vancouver writes:

I run this about 4 times a week. And there are people on this trail from every skill level. There is a lot of up hill and downhill so the trail gives you time to recoup after an uphill. Obviously if you are running you have a higher impact on your joints but if you are going slow you shouldn't have any problems. There are lots of stairs and bridges, no hectic terrain. Awesome hike/run. Go as slow as you like and just enjoy the trail and enjoy the Cove. One of the nicest places on Earth.

Posted: April 14, 2011 01:07:56 PM PST

Shark from Vancouver writes:

Did the hike this past Saturday and had a blast. The trail very busy on a clear day.

While difficult in parts, the trail is suitable for folks of all ages, depending on your level of confidence. Sturdy footwear is a must and be sure to keep your head up as many people run the trail.

The view is worth it!

Posted: April 12, 2011 11:28:21 AM PST

Gisela Lange from West Vancouver writes:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

is this trail suitable for seniors? LOL...
                                                                                                                                                                        Gisela Lange

Posted: April 9, 2011 07:10:50 PM PST

tofu from vancouver writes:

the website says this trail is off-leash trail......but Baden Powell trail sing says dogs not probated exception with leash

Posted: April 3, 2011 05:35:55 PM PST

MP from Richmond writes:

a couple of us (20something females) make this our regular running routine. just did it last weekend and the trail was in pretty good condition. nice little workout (45 mins around trip run); will probably be our year-round spot for winter season training when all the other trails are in worse condition. based on our experience with other trails (most of which are listed on this site), we would not put this in the intermediate range; we encountered all types of people on this route, even people in jeans carrying their infant made it to the rock.

Posted: October 27, 2010 09:51:38 PM PST

Julianna from Vancouver writes:

This is not an easy hike by any stretch of the imagination, and to avoid endangering elder's knees, it really should be listed as intermediate. Easy only in length. I'm not some young guy that's trying to prove their physical prowess by making wild stories about doing this hike in 40 minutes round trip and even taking their grandma. I'm an older, overweight woman and a massage therapist who's worked on the elderly with hip and ankle replacements, and bad knees. This hike will make her curse you all the way up, if she's even able to make it. We saw a mother carrying her 6 year old daughter because she was too tired to make it back, and the mother was trying to get the other adults to take turns carrying her. Numerous stairs, boulders and roots are knee-height to climb. The trails are steep, littered with boulders, roots, and debris. It's not a long hike even for the unseasoned hiker (like me) - but you will feel like you got a very good workout. We saw young and old panting, resting, climbing with hands and feet at the same time. It's not a trail you can simply run up and down. It's mostly uphill at least halfway or more, and the "other" uphill is coming back. The numerous pictures of stairs I took were not duplicates. I have a photostream on Flickr if anyone wants to see the proof of the trail stairs, steep trails, roots and rocks (under solaraine - and no I don't make money on my pictures). At the end, the views are quite beautiful and restful. But to be on the safe side, leave grandma and the little ones home. This is a hike you can easily do in a morning or afternoon and feel you got a *really* good workout. It really does take about 2 hours round trip. Anyone who says otherwise is going at a very fast pace without resting, and is in excellent shape and a seasoned hiker. One last thing: If you plan to do this hike on a weekend in summer, be prepared to have a very difficult time finding a parking space. You might have to park far away from the trailhead.

Posted: September 4, 2010 09:39:29 PM PST

RPB from Armstrong writes:

Just hiked this yesterday, after spending a year trying to find the trail head. (I wasn't previously aware that it was part of the Baden Powell Trail.) VERY easy trail, great for young families wanting a nice outing with a spectacular view of Deep Cove but for experianced hikers like myself this hike may be rather boring and unrewarding. The trail could use some perimeter markers to keep people from trampling the surrounding habitat as it is very eroded. Again, great view, but the hike itself isn't very good. Awesome for training young kids to hike though!

Posted: August 22, 2010 06:34:47 PM PST

Robyn Frank from Melbourne writes:

Loved this hike. The view was fantastic. However I wouldn't describe it as easy. My favourite memory from my trip to Vancouver.

Posted: August 8, 2010 01:04:38 AM PST

spyro morfopoulos from Los Angeles writes:

Just returned from hiking to Quarry Rock. Very nice trail, but more of an intermediate hike relative to the others listed on this site. There are few level parts; mostly up on the way there and down coming back. Also, there are several bridges so don't be dismayed after you cross a couple thinking you're 10 mins from the end. The view is well worth the effort though and 2hrs should be plenty of time to get there and back, with a 10 - 20 min rest at the view point.

Posted: July 17, 2010 04:46:50 PM PST

Carla from Richmond writes:

Did this hike yesterday after work. Great hike! View is fantastic and roundtrip only took about an hour and 20 mins. Great hike if you have limited time!

Posted: July 14, 2010 09:05:40 AM PST

Naomi from Vancouver writes:

This is probably my favorite trail, because it's easy enough that I'm almost always up for it. And the view from Quarry Rock is different every time - I *love* it! Some of my favorite pictures from this trail were from Jan. 2009, after we had 2 weeks of fog. Too bad I can't post them to share here!

Posted: June 6, 2010 03:58:55 PM PST

Dee from North Vancouver writes:

Hi - I think that it's 3.8km return...it's one of those routes that you could run in under 40 minutes return (if you like hills) or hike up with your grandmother...it really does appeal to all and the view is worth it. It reminds me of a miniature version of The Chief in Squamish.

Posted: April 12, 2010 12:38:07 PM PST

Amanda from Deep Cove writes:

Hi, just wondering if it is 3.8 km one direction or return. Hopefully someone has the answer.

Posted: April 3, 2010 03:51:24 PM PST

David Valente from Deep Cove writes:

Nice leisurely walk, suitable for all ages. Challenging areas for some. I have spent much time up Quarry Rock over the years. Many memories from highschool parties to Christmas morning sitting at the top, enjoying the amazing views. A must see in the lower mainland and a great place to live.

Posted: December 17, 2009 02:44:23 PM PST

Annie Boudreau from New Brunswick writes:

this is an amazing trail to hike and a super view of deep cove on top of the rock at the end of trail. Just loved it!

Posted: August 25, 2009 06:36:41 PM PST

Malcolm McDonald from Burnaby writes:

Woo! That was a great unwinder. Just perfect for a leisurely stroll in the woods after a day of sitting in the office. Lots of gentle ups and downs, bare trail, boardwalks - and a happy reward view of stuff at the end.

Posted: May 27, 2009 08:47:15 AM PST

Stephanie from North Vancouver writes:

I'm pretty sure the gray rock is called Cove Cliff.
                                                                                                                                                                                                    The local cafe is Honey's known for its yummy maple donuts and cinnamon buns.

Posted: March 26, 2009 08:38:58 PM PST

Mark from Vancouver writes:

Today we drove from downtown Vancouver to Deep Cove and hiked the Grey Rock trail. It was really great! There was lots of variation, stairs over the creeks, and a fabulous view of Deep Cove harbour from the top of Grey Rock. We brought our 7-year-old daughter and she really had a great time. No problem. On her first nature hike, our new dog loved the off-leash freedom. We were hesitant at first, but noticed lots of other dogs off-leash so we took a shot. It worked out really well. We can't wait to go back!

Posted: August 10, 2008 07:47:37 PM PST

Melanie from Vancouver writes:

My first time visiting Deep Cove, we did the short hike up to the big rock that has a nice view over the water. The first part had a hill and was a little difficult but the rest was easy. Afterwards, my friend took me for coffee and some donuts at a local cafe. The donuts were really yummy but I can't remember the name of the place.

Posted: June 4, 2008 03:02:42 PM PST