View Mystery Lake Description | Add Comment

Yoshii from Richmond writes:

Sept 24 2017

Easy walk/hike started just before 9am.
The beginning can be a bit tricky due to loose rocks, roots and some steep. Used my hands twice.

No bugs at the lake. But after the lake, going up Mystery Peak, yes a few bugs.

Gray Jay landed on my empty hand. Seems like they aren't afraid of humans.

Can you tell me if the picture belongs to a bear track? Or a long nailed dog?
Just before 10am, I saw a black bear behind the Brockton electric substation from about 50 yards away, before going up to Mystery Peak. But then about 10 minutes later I think I heard a bear spray going off. I stopped to hear, but didn't hear any voices or anything. Maybe I was nervous.

• Mystery Lake photo
  • Mystery Lake photo
  • Mystery Lake photo

Posted: September 24, 2017 05:26:59 PM PST

Melissa from Vancouver writes:

We took 3 kids aged 4 & 6 and thoroughly enjoyed the rocky walk. The trail was busy as was the lake on arrival but perfect for this time of year. A good walk for kids that are accustomed to hiking trails.

• Mystery Lake photo

Posted: August 27, 2017 05:07:27 PM PST

Joseph from Vancouver writes:

Just hiked this with my 4 kids (ages 3,5,6 and 8). The 3 year old needed to ride on my shoulders for about half the ride up, but went down the whole way on foot. Excellent hike (definitely not flat, but enjoyable). Bring swimsuits!

Note: trailhead starts at the far end of the parking lot - Wal down the path towards the chairlift and look for the wooden post with trail info.

• Mystery Lake photo
      • Mystery Lake photo
      • Mystery Lake photo

Posted: August 7, 2017 03:08:02 PM PST

Sunny from Vancouver writes:

The trail is definitley for more experienced hikers... also as these phtotos seem to adjust that the lake is swimmable in the summer months, do not be mistaken the lake is half frozen so don't try and bring any pool floats like I mistakenly did.

Posted: July 18, 2017 09:12:47 AM PST

KC from Vancouver writes:

This is a great little hike, and really only took us about 40 minutes to get up to the lake.
          But - beware that as of today (July 9, 2017) the lake is completely iced over still. So no swimming for us!
          Also, the bugs are really bad right now. Really bad. Picture bad, and then multiply it by 10. You can even see them swarming me in the photo.
          August might be a great time to go..

• Mystery Lake photo

Posted: July 9, 2017 03:39:49 PM PST

Jeffrey Epstein from North Vancouver writes:

Good level hike to do with young kids but REALLY BUGGY! Haven't seen black flies this bad since I moved from back East. Don't bother going for a few more weeks. Much of the trail is still covered in snow too.

Posted: July 8, 2017 01:46:50 PM PST

Ray from North Van writes:

I love Seymour Mountain.
              Unfortunately, I can't find this trail for two time. Might try next time. :)

Posted: June 25, 2017 08:03:29 AM PST

Robby-D from Vancouver writes:

The weather's been warm so decided to tackle this in mid-November. No snow but the trail was quite wet, as it seems to double as a stream bed. This hike is not an "easy" one but rather "moderate" - it's short, yes, and only 150m elev gain but it comes quickly and is fairly technical. It could be done in runners, but much more comfortable and stable in hikers. Probably 45 minutes up and 35 minutes back, at a moderately quick pace.

For the proper trail, it's important to note that right away you should pass underneath the Mystery Chair right above the tiny lake at the bottom of the lift. Easy to miss the trailhead.

Nice little trail, pretty little lake, great for when you don't have enough daylight or time to work with.

• Mystery Lake photo
                • Mystery Lake photo

Posted: November 14, 2016 06:56:47 PM PST

Abtin from NORTH VANCOUVER writes:

The trail is more difficult to categorize it as "easy"....very beatiful trail and beautiful lake at the end but challenging to kids....I would categorize it "intermediat" in compate to other Easy trails in this website.

Posted: August 21, 2016 03:01:56 PM PST

Myra from Langley writes:

One of my most favorite hike simply because it falls under my "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" category. A hidden gem...it's name best describes itself. And surprisingly an easy hike. I love love love this place!

Posted: June 25, 2016 01:57:34 PM PST

CL from Burnaby writes:

"Hiked" up here on Sunday June 5th. I wouldn't really call it a hike, depending on which trail you take there. We were lost right from the get-go as there was fencing left over from the Spartan race directing us in a different direction. I think we ended up taking the correct Mystery Lake trail, but only after we doubled back. This trail is steep and we were out of breath quite quickly (moderately fit young individuals) but we reached the lake within 20 minutes. Bring bug repellant -this portion of the trail is INFESTED with flies and mosquitoes! On the way down, we just walked straight down the rocky path, keeping Mystery Chairlift directly above us at all times. This path was MUCH easier (just be focused and aware of the loose rocks) and had zero bugs/mosquitoes. I would highly recommend following the chairlift path up and down next time!

Once we got to the lake, it was gorgeous. Only 2 other groups were there at 9:30am, and we stayed until 2pm. During these hours, there were at most 10 people at any given time. Other than one really loud group that brought inflatable boats and thought everything was hilarious, everyone else was respectful and quiet. This lake is very echo-y so even a normal conversation can be heard from the opposite side of the lake -no joke! There are salamanders that live in this lake. I tried catching one to no avail.

The water on this day was ice cold as there were still many banks covered in snow dripping into the lake. However, I was still able to go in for a couple dips. This is a well kept secret that I hope to enjoy in the coming months.

Posted: June 14, 2016 06:46:48 PM PST

STR from Vancouver writes:

Great walks and well marked trails. Go early on nice days - it gets busy quickly.

Be sure to take bug spray/repellant - there are tons of flies and mosquitos.

Posted: May 18, 2015 06:58:56 PM PST

Have you hiked Mystery Lake? Share your experience with us:

Comments that gratuitously attack or demean individuals or organizations are not acceptable. We reserve the right to remove comments or any other content we deem unacceptable in our sole discretion, including removing user names and profile pictures. For our full website terms and conditions including our legal guidelines for user postings and comments on www.vancouvertrails.com, please see our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.