View Mount Fromme Description | Add Comment

Jelena from Burnaby writes:

Great workout and beautiful nature! No people at all, so if you need privacy go for it. The trail is steep in the last part of it, but it is very doable. And the view from the top of the mountain can not be bad anyways!

• Mount Fromme photo
  • Mount Fromme photo
  • Mount Fromme photo

Posted: October 10, 2016 08:35:03 PM PST

Karine P from vancouver writes:

Always a great hike! Completely clear of snow.
    I was curious what the hike from Grouse Mountain (via the Baden Powell) would seem like, so I tackled that today! It took me 3 hours to get up (using an alternate steeper route to reach the summit), and three hours back. I approximate 14km roundtrip. Very doable!
    Be cautious as the St Georges Trail and Peer Gynt Trail are not super well marked, and mountain bike trails weave through it. The path is pretty well worn, though. When descending and getting back on to the St Georges Trail, make sure that the wooden post on the gravel road says "St Georges Trail", as there is a wooden post just before it (unlabeled) with pink flagging which IS NOT the trail and will lead you to a very steep descent to the Baden Powell.

Posted: July 30, 2016 08:33:23 PM PST

Cam from Burnaby writes:

Trail Report: The route is completely clear of snow and in fairly good condition. The view at the top isn't quite as spectacular as something like the chief but it's still very good and a much less busy than most other trails. If you're planning to do it, I would highly recommend printing off the directions listed above as there are a few places where it would be easy to make a wrong turn and get lost.

Posted: July 17, 2016 06:10:54 PM PST

Mike from Burnaby writes:

@Louise Domenach There is just a bit of snow remaining near the top but it's not much and is still hikeable. There are lots of trail markers along the route but what makes this route a bit trickier is it combines several different trails. There's also a bunch of mountain biking trails in the area too, although you'd be best not to use those and stay on the hiking trails mentioned in the description above.

Your best to take a printout of this trail description just in case.

Posted: June 17, 2016 01:27:35 AM PST

Louise Domenach from Vancouver writes:

Hi everyone,

I would like to do this trail but I am scared to loose myself. Can anyone tell me if there is clear markers there ?
          Thanks a lot !

Posted: June 16, 2016 09:33:29 PM PST

Ben from Richmond writes:

Superb trail. Very excellent. Even on a magnificently sunny Sunday morning, hardly ran into anybody coming up or down. Snow was still on the ground near the very top, but hardly an issue. View at the top of the mountain ranges was well worth the considerable effort. No such thing as too much water; after the Mountain Highway switchbacks the only wild water is snow melt, and it's a thirsty trip.

On the descent did the exact same thing as G.B. from van, below, and got hilaaaaaaaaaariously lost. I had a decent map and it didn't save me, although it did make it easy to extricate myself. If you take the "alternate trail" from the summit to the access road, you either have very good footing or you get the pleasurable experience of skidding down 200 vertical metres of mountain. Then the high-difficulty mountain biking routes are such a hassle that I actually cut cross-country and followed a creek for a while. Not recommended. But worth a second trip, and hopefully I'll figure out what to do.

Posted: June 5, 2016 09:03:42 PM PST

Tracy Davies from Vancouver writes:

Did this hike May 23rd. Great choice for a rainy day! Minimal snow left at the top, no crampons or snowshoes needed.

Posted: May 24, 2016 11:32:59 PM PST

Natasha from Vancouver writes:

Did the hike this Saturday (April 2) and it is definitely doable without snowshoes now. There's snow for the last ~1/3 of the hike and it's deep, but fairly well-packed. We postholed at most half a dozen times.

Remember to bring sunglasses if it's sunny out - the snow makes it very bright at the top!

Posted: April 6, 2016 07:16:39 PM PST

Chelsea from Vancouver writes:

We just went up today (March 18th, 2016) and it was fun but you definitely need snowshoes! We knew there would be snow but thought it would be closer to the top. It started about halfway and was deep! We kept falling through the snow but had packed lots of food and had enough daylight so were determined to keep trying to make it to the peak. We never did as close to the top it became impossible from the snow being to deep and unpackable. Almost went to far down on the way down but luckily Google Maps saved the day as you can zoom in and see the trail names and where your car is parked. Traversed and found the trail we had come up on. 5 hours round trip. Only saw a few people near the bottom. Can't wait to try it when it's clear in the summer.

Posted: March 19, 2016 12:08:17 AM PST

Tak McT. from Vancouver writes:

I've been on a hiking binge all season as of this past March with a co-worker.

We didn't want to drive too long out of Vancouver to have a nice hike, so we decided to "take it easy" for once and do a local hike.

I forgot to time our hike this time, but I think we did it the hike round trip in about around 4hrs.

- follow instructions from this site if you don't have a GPS unit. Lots of trails that criss-cross along each other. Make sure you keep track of where you exit when you get onto the main gravel roads (twice). You'll need to remember them when you are descending the trail.
                    - Understandable that people get lost when coming down as my friends and I were asking each other "this way?" a few times. We just kept to the St. Georges trail on the way down and it kept us on track.
                    - I did the trail in runners, but once you're close to the peak, the trail/roots were quite damp, making the trail slippery. The high steps on the trail also made for some slippery conditions where mis-steps were more probable. Boots are recommended, but again, I did them in runners. My feet got a little wet from the running water on the trail.
                    - Not the most spectacular views when completed, but quiet and secluded.

Posted: September 17, 2015 04:45:03 AM PST

Megan from Calgary writes:

Completed this hike today (Wednesday). Very quiet trail, only saw 2 other people the entire time we were out.

Trail itself is alright, there are portions with lot of loose rocks and tree stumps/roots in the way. Initial 1/3 of hike is almost steady uphill, later 2/3 more gradual incline. Going to the peak the trail is relatively well marked and instructions given on the website are clear (follow them!).

View from the top is nice, but I wouldn't recommend this hike for the view alone. No real spots in the shade at the top, but lots of room to sit on the rocks for a nice lunch.

The descent of this trail...was a nightmare. Going up it doesn't seem hard to follow the trail but in reverse there are many, many winding trails and it's incredibly easy to get lost. Be VERY familiar with the trail going up, or plan LOTS of extra time to find your way back. By the end of the hike I just wanted to get out of there - incredibly frustrating, especially since there are so few sign posts.

With my small dog we completed the trail in about 3.5 hours (2 hours up, 1.5 hour down, plus additional 1/2 hour plus trying to find our way out).

Decent trail, but I wouldn't recommend it based on mediocre views (compared to other hikes) and troublesome return trip.

Posted: August 19, 2015 08:36:55 PM PST

Leah Timmermann from Vancouver writes:

Nice hike completed yesterday in great sunshine with an enjoyable breeze.

We found the trail difficult to follow (missed the "rope" entirely) and tacked on an additional few kilometers of walking before finding a second and very steep small forest path to the summit.

Saw signs of bear scat but no bears. The berries are out in full force too, so be bear aware.

Lots of mountain bikers out as it was the weekend.

Great views of Grouse and Crown mountain from the summit.

Posted: August 10, 2015 10:32:21 AM PST

anon from Burnaby writes:

Did the hike with a few friends on a very rainy day. We got pretty soaked throughout- not a lot of coverage from trees. It was my first hike and I might have chosen an easier one if I knew what I was getting into. However, it was no problem for my friends, who were all fit and used to hiking. The hardest parts about this hike were navigating on the way back (you can't make one wrong turn, and there are many opportunities to do that) and descending when it was so slippery/muddy. The view at the top was completely covered in fog. It's loooong- you keep thinking by the 2/3 point that you're almost there, almost at the top- and you still have a long way to go! The last portion is also even trickier and steeper to climb. Descending the mountain was torturous for my ankles. Not only was I slipping and sliding, but I rolled my ankles on nearly every step down- there are some really uneven areas- and going down busts your kneecaps if you don't have good technique. Proper hiking shoes would really make a difference for this one. If it's a cloudy/rainy/murky day, I would suggest choosing a different trail just because this one is so long and endless. The peak is also way colder than the inside of the forest- you would regret not bringing a jacket or two. It's kind of sad if you get lost because it leads straight into many other Vancouver trails near the bottom- you could be hiking forever ! Not the best for beginners, but enjoyable if you know how to hike.

Posted: July 27, 2015 08:46:02 PM PST

Courtney from Delta writes:

Did this today with a friend. Definitely a quiet trail, we only saw 4 other human beings the entire hike. I had screen shots of the trail instructions on my phone and everything was pretty easy to find. However, the directions kind of make it seem like there are 3 parts to this hike but what it doesn't say is that after you cross Old Grouse Mountain Road for the last time, the second half of your hike begins - and it is looooong. We kept thinking, almost there, just around the corner - not really. So that was kind of depressing when we were starving but it is peaceful at the top. On the way down we lost the markers somehow. We have no idea where they went. We stood in between 2 orange markers and then there were no more. So we ended up taking the "Executioner" mountain bike trail down, which was not ideal but we didn't really have another choice at that point. In total, start to finish with about an hour break and getting lost, it took us 7 hours. We chose this hike because it is one of the few options on the North Shore right now that isn't bug infested. It was okay. St George's trail was quite nice. Some bugs in the first 1/3 of the hike and a couple of annoying flies at the top but i managed to get away with only 1 bite, which is pretty good for me. Take LOTS of water.

Posted: June 29, 2015 10:28:46 PM PST

G.B. from van writes:

Did a solo hike today. Full sunshine. No snow.

The directions on here were very clear going up. On the way down, I advise you to follow the same path and be extra careful when you clear the mountain highway and are back on st. georges trail. I somehow managed to end up on the Air Supply trail which lead me back to mountain highway/service road. I turned on mobile data/gps on my smartphone and after a little bit of calibration, gmaps said I was at SFU... probably a tower location, I found I can take the Oil Can biker trail and work my way back. Definitely going to purchase a map.

One other note, I don't suggest taking the alternative trail down that's next to the peak. At first, I somehow ended up at the little lake which didn't have a trail going through it, so I turned around. I found the other trail that goes to the service trail (easy to miss). I had to turn back from this trail due to lack of markers and/or that I was going the wrong direction. Trail was very narrow but it's a good one to go through for 100 meters or so because there's a nice view of the Windmill on grouse. (You can also hear the loud speaker of grouse).

However, with all that, the peak made it completely worth it.

1.5 hours up. 0.5 rest. 2 hours down, but would have been 1.

Posted: June 27, 2015 08:12:48 PM PST

Yumi from Surrey writes:

This hike is underrated but maybe that is a good thing. We went on a Saturday and there were only a handful of people. I would keep the trail directions handy because some junctions can be confusing and making one wrong turn will lead you on the wrong trail. The trail gets a bit steep near the end and the top is very secluded and quiet since we were surrounded by mountains, which was really nice.

Posted: June 24, 2015 03:55:01 PM PST

Nick from Vancouver writes:

A great morning hike. We completed this hike on the morning of June 20th in about 4 hours at a moderate pace. The trail is beautiful and well marked, but I would recommend printing off the directions from this site as there are a couple junctions that could easily throw you off.

95% of the hike is on hiking only trails, but you will cross some of the mountain bike trails on the way up.

Considering we did this hike on a Saturday in June it was extremely quiet - we only saw about 10 people the entire time.

Posted: June 20, 2015 04:21:47 PM PST

M. from Vancouver writes:

Did this hike on Sunday, May 24th. No snow anywhere to be seen. No problem going up with runners. The lower part of the trail is not easy to follow (I actually got lost on the way down), but this description is extremely helpful. I suggest you bring a printout or have it handy on your cell.

Posted: May 24, 2015 07:45:40 PM PST

Anna from Vancouver writes:

Did this hike on May 7th. Beautiful trail. The description given here is really helpful for keeping on track. Beyond the peak where this trail leads, there is another peak which has a terrific view of Grouse and the water. If you follow the path on the right, you can get to this peak. It's only a 10-15 minute hike away and it is worth it.

Posted: May 10, 2015 06:55:59 PM PST

Sarah from Richmond writes:

Hiked this trail on May 6th. The air was comfortably cool under the trees. The trail was pretty wet towards the tail end of the hike - definitely doable in running shoes, but be prepared to get your socks a little wet. There were patches of snow/leftover hail at the peak. We were rewarded with a beautiful view of the mountains. We brought a printout of the trail description and had no problems navigating.

Posted: May 8, 2015 09:21:02 PM PST

Karine P from Vancouver, BC writes:

We did this hike this morning, and it was very enjoyable! Met only a handful of people going up and down... definitely a hidden gem. The last third of the trail was fairly muddy, and there were a few inches of snow at the top, so it was a little slippery heading down. It was also very cloudy at the top, so we couldn't see much but it was a great workout! Will definitely do it again in clearer weather! I would highly recommend printing out the trail directions or having your phone handy; some parts were a little confusing. But overall, great hike!

Posted: April 11, 2015 04:17:34 PM PST

Matt McDonagh from Vancouver, BC writes:

Lovely trail that is quite private - a hidden gem on the often heavily travelled North Shore. Good amount of public parking at the end of St. George Ave - no resident permit necessary. The trail could be better marked so I do recommend familiarizing yourself with the directions ahead of time and perhaps even bringing a print out or a phone as cellular service is existent along the trail! The elevation gain is good - a bit more than the Grouse Grind. I hiked the trail mid-March. Good conditions. No snow at all. It was a bit muddy but that was after a few days of heavy rain. The trail is well covered by tree canopy right up until the end. Good challenge and good views of Mt. Seymour and Grouse Mountain.

Posted: April 1, 2015 09:59:37 PM PST