View Harrison Grind Description | Add Comment

SebLev from Toronto writes:

I hiked this on Jan 15th, 2017. The trail was covered in snow and had been barely traveled. There was a couple sets of foot prints that ended about half way up. Luckily I was prepared for the snow, so making my own path in the 1-2 foot deep snow was not an issue. I hiked up to around 7/8th of the trail but got lost at one point because I couldn't find the next markers or have any real trail to follow. I started walking around to try to find it, but found day old animal tracks, so I just turned around. I didn't want to take risks while I was alone.

I wouldn't call this difficult at all. It's a nice and simple progression up the mountain and if you keep a decent pace, you could do it in 4 hours. That time is with me making my own path in the snow. I would climb this again any day when I know I have a few hours to spare.

Posted: January 18, 2017 10:51:36 PM PST

seanny from Vancouver writes:

I did this hike with my lab up to Campbell lake on Friday Sept 2nd. It had rained a bit prior so a little slippery but overall a great hike. Best part is no one was on the trail. We did the round trip under 3.5hrs with about 20 min of that time farting around trying to get my pup over some boulders. Absolute stunning in the trees and the view from up top wasn't bad even with some cloud cover. I'm not crazy fit and this was only my second hike out in BC...I didn't find it difficult but I can see it being tough for some. Good luck!

Posted: September 4, 2016 10:48:29 AM PST

Myra from Langley writes:

Talk about diversity....this trail has everything there is to offer. If you like solitude, this trail is for you. We hiked this one and there's practically nobody but us. From tall long bushes to slippery rocks to slippery logs to muddy ground to steep climb, yes we came back home with scratches and bruises...lol...but all worth it.

Posted: June 25, 2016 02:29:26 PM PST

Bruce from CHILLIWACK writes:

I have done this Trail a few times and it is an excellent but tough trail. if are inexperienced, don't do this trail. It has a great variety and it excellently marked. Depending on who you hike with, the round trip varies from 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Posted: May 29, 2016 02:00:28 AM PST

Katrina B from Abbotsford writes:

April 25, 2016. Driving in a lot of reviews mention to turn onto Balsam Ave. Actually, when you see Balsam Ave, on the other side of the street there will be a pull out area with a map and hiking information. This is where you want to be! The hike starts off to the left, heading behind the big fence, take the wide trail up behind some big tankā€¦ Then the trail starts to actually feel like a hike. Walking up what appears to be a creek bed, poles were helpful on some slippery spots. Then the terrain will change again, narrowing, more bush and yet more open to the sky. After a time you will head back into the trees and it will feel like the typical beautiful BC forest. Moss covered trees and rocks, great variety of scrambles, sketchy bridges, paths and inclines. The trail is very well marked. It took as about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to the Harrison Grind look out. Nice view of Harrison lake. Head back into the trees and continue along the trail for another 20 minutes, passing a cleared area for helicopter landing to get to Campbell Lake. The lake itself is pretty, but the surrounding area is nothing spectacular. Took us about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get down as you have to watch your step. Poles were helpful again in the slippery sections. The hike is worth it primarily for the awesome forest! Loved the variety and the moss everywhere; Creation is incredible here! We only saw 4 other people on this Monday; it was nice to have found a quiet trail!

Posted: April 26, 2016 11:32:47 PM PST

Raerae from Abbotsford writes:

Did this hike this past weekend (February 27th) and I have to say that it was truly DIFFICULT! After reading all the comments, I had prepared myself for something a little less than difficult but that was not the case. Also, the description says it's 7km RETURN! But my map my run app on my phone recorded it to be over 16km! That's quite a difference. Has anyone else discovered this issue? I know my phone could possibly have been off, but by that much? This took us the full 6 hours. I have to say it was a beautiful moss covered trail but it was tedious with the many many switchbacks. There's a part in the description that says "not too much further" after the wooden bridge, the trail opens up to the viewpoint. In my head that would mean a few minutes maybe? But it had to be at least another hour before we reached the top! It seemed to go on and on forever. We were lucky and the weather had cleared up, providing us with a gorgeous view of Harrison Lake. We decided to continue on to Campbell Lake which in my opinion, was not worth it. The description also said it was a "fairly flat" terrain which again is NOT TRUE! There was a lot of boulder scrambling and quite uneven terrain. Closer to the lake it's quite flat but not the start of that trail...it took us about 30 minutes to reach the lake. The trail back down was a little dicey at the end with all the slippery rocks in the creek bed, so this time of year might not be the best time to do it for that reason. If you're up for an arduous (but rewarding) hike then I highly recommend this but come prepared for much further than 7km! And to be mentally and physically exhausted at the end!!

Posted: March 2, 2016 01:26:04 PM PST

Hiker from Fraser Valley writes:

This trail is one of my favorites, you have alot of different types of terrain in a short distance. it does NOT take 6 hours. last time i hiked it i made it to the top in an hour and a half. Campbell lake is Very warm! alot of newt's swimming near shore!

Posted: July 2, 2015 09:53:33 PM PST

Yumi from Surrey writes:

This hike was really nice. It wasn't as difficult as it says. The trail was versatile and fun. Since we went on a weekday no one else was there so you really feel secluded at the lake. :)

Posted: June 24, 2015 03:46:30 PM PST

H from Vancouver writes:

Did it last week and it was fun. Since it's categorized as a difficult trail, we were worried but it wasn't hard at all. If you did Grouse or Chief, this one is nothing, don't worry, you will be fine. Also the trail was well marked which was great.

Posted: May 26, 2015 04:33:59 PM PST

Lindsay from Abbotsford writes:

Amazing hike!

There are parts where the trail is difficult to tell apart from the regular forest floor. On the way down we got lost for about an hour, but it turned out okay.

The view is spectacular and totally rewarding! We went on further to the lake, which would have made for a good swim and / or picnic location if we had been more prepared.

I'll definitely be doing this again!

Posted: July 13, 2014 09:16:37 PM PST

sarahz from Chilliwack writes:

Nice trail with great views. I recommend continuing onto Campbell Lake as the trail to the lake is a short and easy 15 minutes to half hour walk.

Trail is easy to follow with lots of markers and there is no snow in sight as of June.22/13.

A bit of bush whacking is required about 30 minutes after the start of the trail (bush whacking lasts about 30 minutes). Due to this section of trail come prepared if it is raining, you will get soaked.

Overall impression of the trail: seems at one point it was very well maintained but has not been kept up recently. Bring your pruners and leave the trail in better shape than you found it :)

Note: Be very careful on log bridges and ladders, some are loose/starting to rot. I recommend hiking around all of them which is easily done.

See the Harrison Tourism website for further info and more great hikes in the Harrison area.

Posted: June 24, 2013 01:18:55 PM PST