View Buntzen Lake Description | Add Comment

Benny Nyström from Stockholm Sweden writes:

I gotta say one side off the lake was an really easy hike but the other side was way harder ..well you need good hiking shoes....not that great on the signs ...

• Buntzen Lake photo

Posted: August 16, 2017 06:07:38 PM PST

crossover from Vancouver, BC writes:

Hiked on 2017.08.13. It was raining in the morning, so I was surprised to see the parking lots to be about 30% full when I arrived at 9:30am. The trail was very family friendly. Views were very pleasant. I hiked counterclockwise, and the West portion (after the North beach suspension bridge) was definitely more interesting (East portion was like a walk around the park). It took me 2.5 hrs to finish in a relaxing pace.

• Buntzen Lake photo
    • Buntzen Lake photo
    • Buntzen Lake photo

Posted: August 14, 2017 05:48:44 PM PST

Julie from Burnaby writes:

Great walk. I clocked 10km around the lake and took 1hr and 45 minutes; although I am sure it would take longer for those many folks walking the trail in flip-flops. Definitely more up/down than I expected. Did the trail counter-clockwise and the east side of the lake was way busier than the west side.

Posted: August 13, 2017 03:23:12 AM PST

Louis from Montreal writes:

My family and I hiked around the lake today, Thersday July 27th, 2017. Parking was not an issue as we arrived fairly early on a week day, around 10:00AM. We were really impressed how the park was well kept, and the trail well maintained. Thanks to BC Hydro for investing in newly built wood bridges. The leach/no leach debate didn't come to my mind as I was so busy staring at the magnificent trees and georgeous vegetation. The scenery is just magnificent! Be aware of not letting your backpacks unattended on a picnic table as a raven stole our only two granola bars. All hikers we met were very friendly.

Posted: July 27, 2017 09:44:22 PM PST

Marina from North Vancouver writes:

Great lake, great hike. However, it is way longer than 8K. Somewhat between 10-11K. Did it running today, my app (Strava) gave me 11.1K starting from the beach, looping around, and back to where I began. Other sites say 10K, but definitely not 8K as stated here.

• Buntzen Lake photo
          • Buntzen Lake photo
          • Buntzen Lake photo

Posted: July 16, 2017 10:31:23 PM PST

John from Vancouver writes:

I've done the loop around the lake once & half the lake twice, going counterclockwise. South beach to north beach is not bad, a few ups & downs. Nice spot to eat lunch or snack at north beach. Nice suspension bridge there. Return on the east side for easy route. West side of lake is a bit tougher, moderate rating. Sorry, no road acces to north beach, road is for service vehicles only. Only way to go is to hike there or rent a canoe from Anmore Grocery Store & paddle to North beach.

Posted: July 6, 2017 07:28:49 PM PST

JP from Coquitlam writes:

Awesome hike! We completed it in 2 hours and 22 minutes (including water, snack, and picture breaks). We went at a moderately fast paced and are both reasonably fit.

Posted: July 1, 2017 11:05:33 AM PST

Andrew Tan from Coquitlam writes:

A newbie here, and also have a newbie question, is there a way to go to North beach using car and park around there to go to the docks?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted: June 13, 2017 10:00:54 AM PST

Solo female hiker from New Westminster writes:

Hiked this trail today Jun 11/17 alone as a young solo female hiker. Just wanted to post a couple of warnings about 2 things:

#1 - I came across a black bear while hiking alone on the gravel trail back to the floating bridge, and I tried to scare it away as I've read that you are supposed to do, by clapping, yelling, waving my arms, and using my bear bell. The bear did not seem to be afraid and would not leave. Thankfully another group of people were close behind and we managed as a group to make a lot of noise. The bear kept walking toward us but eventually went back into the forest. The bear did not seem to have fear of humans or noise. There was no aggression displayed but just to be aware - carrying bear bell and maybe bear spray would be advisable for this hike.

#2 - I found myself alone today on the dock at the north beach and was enjoying dipping my feet in the water. When I turned to leave, I noticed a man that I had seen riding his bike on the bridge earlier on the way to the beach. The man kept riding his bike around the area, back and forth from the bridge to the beach, and repeatedly staring at me, which I found odd. His bike did not seem to be a mountain bike, and he was not carrying any hiking gear. He did not seem to want to leave. I felt creeped out and uneasy with his presence and didn't feel safe going back into the woods while he was around. I decided to wait it out, figuring maybe eventually he would go somewhere, but he would not leave. Eventually, after about 20-30 min, another group of hikers came through the beach and I left with them, at which point the man finally left. If you are a female hiking alone, just be aware of your surroundings and once again, maybe carry equipment for safety. Perhaps I was just being paranoid, but his behaviour was odd, and I think it's better to be safe.

I would re-think doing this hike alone, probably better to go with a group if possible. It was not super busy today though possibly due to being overcast so others may have had different experiences on days where it was more populated.

Aside from that, the hike itself was great, though actually a lot longer and more tiring than I expected. Beautiful views of the lake, and the beaches seem really nice for swimming and dipping into the water.

Posted: June 11, 2017 10:58:16 PM PST

hopper from Burnaby writes:

I was running around Bunzten yesterday and noticed many dogs on the trail. Not one of them was on a leash, but all the humans with the dogs had the dogs under control. Except one. He was running with his dog and the dog ran up and jumped on me while I was also running. I was surprised and annoyed as this beasty rubbed his wet nose on my leg. Gross. Here's the thing, dogs on the trail are supposed to be on a leash. I don't think most people using the trails don't really care if well behaved animals are off a leash. If you don't have 100% control of your animal, you're going to ruin it for responsible humans that do.

Posted: June 10, 2017 11:36:25 AM PST

Anna from Coquitlam writes:

Beautiful area to hike, we passed about 10 dog walkers, and only two of them on leash. Two rotties came running pellmell down the trail and through the bush and no owner in site, one doberman pinscher, no owner in site, and several other large dogs running down the trail with owners definitely not within seeing or hearing distance. Not to mention the fresh dog feces on the trail. We spoke with a couple of those owners. It is unfortunate for considerate dog owners that are respectful of everyone using the park and who manage to keep their dogs with them and/or on leash and clean up after their pets. If you see irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs run free and out of sight and definitely not under control, please speak up with them, because those selfish owners who feel the park requirements don't apply to them or their dogs will eventually ruin it for all responsible dog owners.

Posted: February 1, 2017 03:18:30 PM PST

Nathan Peters from Coquitlam writes:

This was a beautiful hike around a nice lake. Although it is rated as easy, because of the length one of my friends who was not in great shape was complaining about some of the small hills on the way back. I didn't have any issues though.

Posted: September 5, 2016 11:48:17 AM PST

Isabel Neves from Richmond writes:

Hike this trail last Thursday. On the West side of the lake through the winding forest path be aware of a WASPS' nest right on the left edged of the path going toward the North beach. I barely noticed it next to my left foot and in a split second got stung as I tried to run away from it. It snicks up on you so be very vigilant !!

Posted: September 2, 2016 06:09:57 AM PST

Michelle from Langley writes:

Great hike with a great views the whole time, the walk is not boring at all as you see many different things, half way around the lake there's a picnic area and a short bridge. Hike only took 2h 25min, fairly easy with a few challenging up hills. Great for children and also dogs (on leash).

Posted: August 15, 2016 08:42:02 PM PST

Hunter from Maple Ridge writes:

My favourite hike so far in the lower mainland. Beautiful sights and sounds. Took us 3 hrs and 5 minutes to finish and we had our 3 little dogs and a doggie stroller. The last 1/3 of the hike (towards north beach) was the hardest to maneuver the stroller because of some steep sections. The off leash area is awesome! I was quite impressed, there is a wash and "parking" station nearby. Overall very clean and will recommend to everybody. I will not come back with the stroller.

Posted: July 5, 2016 05:15:02 PM PST

Gordon from Burnaby writes:

I'm the owner of a very well behaved dog and enjoy having him off leash when we can. He has never ever been aggressive with anyone, even when provoked by other aggressive dogs. But there is a reason for the leash laws. Even if only 5% of dogs are a possible danger to other dogs or humans, there has to be an absolute law. Most people think that there dog is well behaved until it isn't. One has to err on the side of caution.
                                I've been on trails where even friendly dogs have accidentally bumped into me in awkward places on trails and almost knocked me or my children over. If you think the leash is dangerous to the dog, not having them on leash can be, ultimately, be more dangerous. The trails are for humans first (yes, even the ignorant ones) Its just the way it is. If only one person or dog gets hurt, its one too many.

Posted: April 10, 2016 11:41:18 PM PST

Christina from Vancouver writes:

Did this hike on Sat Jan 2 2016 and it was very nice and trails are well maintained. Its quite chilly and there was some nice fog over the lake. Pretty easy hike in all

Posted: January 5, 2016 01:13:49 AM PST

Tam from NewWest writes:

A friend and I most recently completed this loop yesterday (Nov8) and even after the recent heavy rains the trails are in good shape.
                                    We had a best time of 2:15 for the loop (usually 2:30, not including 15+ min lunch at the north beach). Our GPS (RunKeeper app) clocks the distance at 10.75km from the parking lot & back. It's a beautiful hike, even beginner's can manage it with

Posted: November 9, 2015 01:52:42 PM PST

Becky from vancouvet writes:

If it says on leash, keep your dog's on leash. Outside areas aren't just for "good" dogs. Lots of us are working extremely hard with rescue dogs that have been traumatized by one thing or another. If an area is off leash, we will avoid. If it says on leash we expect other dog guardians to respect that and the fact that dogs come in a range of temperaments just like people. Stop being selfish and follow the rules! It's no just about you and your dog!!

Posted: September 28, 2015 09:18:04 AM PST

Char from Saskatoon, SK writes:

I've done this hike a number of times and it's beautiful all the way around. There are a couple of challenging (uphill) sections on the west side of the lake but the east is super easy. On a warm day it's really nice to be able to jump into the lake to cool off. Dogs are very welcome. Do arrive early because the parking lot fills up FAST.

Posted: September 9, 2015 04:51:11 PM PST

Chris from Surrey writes:

Only did part of this trail as I was alone and not fully prepared and got a late start. It was a lot cooler today than it has been, and a little rainy and that made it all the more enjoyable. Appreciated the clean and good number of bathroom facilities and the well kept trails. Looking forward to returning to do the whole thing and more.

Posted: July 11, 2015 06:57:51 PM PST

Sarah from Vancouver writes:

My boyfriend, dog and I did the 8 km hike around the lake this past weekend and had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful area with unbeatable scenery and we will surely be back in the very near future. We are lucky to have such an incredible place so close by. A couple things that I wanted to share though. About 2/3 of the way around the lake we came across one of the biggest black bears I have ever seen in my life, grazing on some black berries along the side of the trail. We became acutely aware of a few things at the moment. One was that we were SO thankful to have our friendly pooch on leash as that prohibited him from approaching/checking out the bear and we were easily able to pull him away. Two being that we both had bear-spray on us and we knew exactly where it was should the bear feel threatened and charge us. And three, holy smokes even though this is fairly busy trail, it is indeed part of the wilderness and that can not be forgotten as these animals were here long before any of us. We were able to slowly back away from the bear and walk the opposite direction on the trail until we met up with a large group of hikers. We took off again as a large pack (12 - 15 of us now) and made plenty of noise to alert the bear we were coming. By the time we got to where it had previously been there was no longer any sign of it as it must have taken off up the hill away from the trail. We asked if others in this group had any bear spray - not a single person did.

I tell this story to applaud whoever made the on-leash rule mandatory as it became so clear to me that this rule is truly for the safety of EVERYONE on the trail. No matter how friendly or unfriendly your dog is, it truly doesn't matter. A curious dog is a curious dog and that can be life threatening in a situation like this. And I also hope to remind people that you are in the wilderness. Hike in a group or at least with one other person, make lots of noise, and for goodness sake bring your bear spray! Chances are you won't have to use it, but at least you are prepared. Hopefully this does not deter anyone from hiking in this amazing oasis, but instead inspire safety awareness.

Happy trails to you! See you out there :-)

Posted: June 23, 2015 02:31:15 PM PST

John Soanes from Langley writes:

If uncrowded and a little more challenging is your thing the Lakeview Trail is a good option. The park was very busy (Saturday) but hikers were few and far between as compared to the traffic jam on the Buntzen Lake Trail running below us.

Our 13.4 KM route took us around McCombe Lake via the Old Buntzen Lake Trail and the Service Road. We started along the Swan Falls Trail, but decided a short turn was in order given the 27°C (80°F) We rejoined the Lakeview trail after lunch on the North Beach.

Posted: June 15, 2015 12:17:31 AM PST

Holly from Port Moody writes:

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the dog off leash subject. Since moving to PoMo close to 20 years ago I have gone up to Buntzen almost every day...sometimes twice, to hike, walk and swim with my dogs. I can appreciate that some people are afraid of dogs; some dogs are afraid of dogs and we dog owners need to be responsible pet parents to ensure our canine friends are not pests.

I had a dog for 12 plus years that had fear agression toward other dogs following an injury. So I kept her on lead when on the trails and found hidden coves where she could swim without issue. I used to curse those with off leash dogs smiling as they told me their dog was friendly and then yelling when my dog snarked at them. Thankfully as she aged her fear lessened as unfortunately did her mobility; so the walk was short from the parking lot to the boat launch area to allow her daily swim. Staff were awesome as they never complained when we had to cut through the edge of the picnic area as she needed to rest on the way to the water. They just smiled and waived even though dogs are forbidden in that area. They saw the old girl in her pick me up harness (off leash) as did many patrons of the park...all just commented that she was lucky to have me as her mom.

When the old girl passed on it took me little time to know I needed another in my life. She too is being raised at Buntzen Lake. Thankfully she is very friendly...as she is a very big girl and could be a terror if not properly trained. In her first three years we have delighted in hiking and swimming up at the lake..many times off leash as we are training for search and rescue...but she is always made to behave whenever anyone else came along. Most cloudy or rainy days we see no one else...other than the few diehard regular dog owners and there is no issue. Summer time presents an issue as more and more people flock to the park to enjoy the trails and the water. Problems inevitably erupt when dog vs non dog people encounter each other.

I too was taken aback by the recent signs posted about fines and being removed if found with an off leash dog. My first reaction was selfish...with a sense of some sort of entitlement I felt I had more rights than the others. How dare they ruin time at the park by causing me the inconvenience of having to leash my dog. I soon realized the folly in those thoughts. We have the privilege of accessing this park. It is BC Hydro that maintains it and allows us to enjoy this little piece of heaven. I am sure the staff is inundated with silly complaints from both the pro as well as the con dog people. So is there a solution that can make us all happy?

I agree that a trail of less than 1 k is not sufficient for a big dog to get exercise. Would they allow us to have more trails and would we, like the mountain bikers and hikers also be willing to help maintain it. I know I would. I don't like the craziness of the lake edge dog park in the summer as it is more likely to result in dog issues when the dogs have no opportunity to burn off their excess energy on the trails before they enter. So wouldnt it be great to have more trails where we could enjoy our pups running free and getting the exercise they need...but in an environment where those that are not comfortable with off leash dogs can avoid?

Well time to head up to the lake...hope I don't get a fine!

Posted: May 12, 2015 04:09:45 PM PST

Doug from Port Moody writes:

I would just like to say something regarding the dog leash debate. My wife and I have a rescue dog from a high-kill California shelter. For some reason he goes after other animals, dogs or otherwise, whether he is on or off leash. He is cute and so gentle with people that you would never expect this behaviour, but it happens every time. We paid a fortune and worked with trainers to change his behaviour, but to no avail. The trainers believe it is a fear response. In any case, he is always leashed and I often pick him up to avoid a confrontation. The only time we have a problem is when another dog is running loose and surprises us before I can pick up my dog. Then the fight is on! We have no choice but to leash our dog, although I would really love to let him run free sometimes. Why is it too much to ask for others to leash their dogs too? Especially when it's the law! Why can't you run with your dog on a leash? They sell all kinds of special leashes for that purpose. Yet people on this page are branding others as the problem. If all dogs are leashed when and where they are supposed to be, the problem is solved. Simple as that. Quit being so selfish!

Posted: May 2, 2015 10:54:07 AM PST

Michelle from Coquitlam writes:

I've hiked this trail a good 50 times in the last few years; the lake is gorgeous and there are so many scenic spots along the trail. Up until a few weeks ago I would've given a 5 star rating and raved about everything. I love hiking with my small well behaved dog. She's shy and will actively avoid strangers and other dogs. She doesn't approach anyone and definitely goes out of her way to avoid contact and conflict. Dogs get much more exercise off leash, not to mention feel free and exhilarated! As many have suggested, please give us something bigger than a 1 way 0.6 km off leash trail or alternate days or times during the day. Not everyone loves dogs but lots of us feel like they're family. We want to spend quality time with our family.

Posted: April 19, 2015 08:50:19 PM PST

Lisa yaroshuk from Abbotsford writes:

Was expecting a nice stroll around the lake, but it impressed me with a amazing "hiking" trail. It was definitely more than 8 km and was a challenge with hills, rocks and winding trails. Although it required dogs to be on leash, there were the odd people who of course can not read the signs... I will recommend this hike!

Posted: April 18, 2015 09:06:30 PM PST

Nelson from Vancouver writes:

Good day, so my partner and I with our dog tried going for a hike at Buntzen yesterday (Sunday April 5 2015) and when we got there we noticed quite a few new dog signs posted. These signs were obviously hand written and saying that we were not permitted to have our dog on the trails off leash and that if we were caught we could be faced with a $115.00 fine. Well we left, we drove an hour to get there but there is no way we are going to hike for 3.5 hours with our dog on a leash, that's just ridiculous! It's a shame really because it was our favourite lake to hike. Our dog is very well behaved and loved by all, except those that are afraid of dogs (you need to get over it). I don't see why we can't share the trail? We should be able to enjoy the trails just like everyone else with our pooch's off leash. Quite frankly there are people on these trails that should be on a leash more than my dog needs to be. If anything we should have certain days, including one weekend day that we can take our dogs to the lake off leash. Give us Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday off leash and those people that don't mind the dogs off leash can join, the haters can have Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Something like that, I'm sure you get the idea. Or even a 4 - 6 hour window where dogs can be off leash. There needs to be some sort of flexibility. I would have rated you a 5 but quite frankly you fail. Thanks

Posted: April 6, 2015 05:23:41 PM PST

Matt from Tsawwassen writes:

Hiked the trail March 28 2015, water level in the lake was super high. North Beach and the trail on the west side of the lake was totally underwater in the lower sections. You have to use the Lakeview trail on the west side. allw at least an additional 1.5 to 2 hours to go around the lake!
                                                          Absolutely beautiful hike! So close to the city.

Posted: March 29, 2015 01:51:31 PM PST

Dayna egyed from Coverdale writes:

I wrote this to Buntzen lake

I love Buntzen lake, and the best part is seeing most dogs run free. I know that there are laws about dogs being on leash, but I have ran Many mountains and trails, and dogs. I only ever see aggression when dogs are on leash or at a dog park. Dogs that run free are happier. the only dog attacks
                                                            Most owners will say "my dog is good when it's off leash but aggressive when on leash"
                                                            Dog parks and leashes make dogs feel they have to protect their owners. It creates a problem, and causes dogs to pack and pick on weak dogs.
                                                            I think that there should be parks that have OFF leash hrs.
                                                            Or make the lower lake trail for leashes but the upper trails to be off leash. Running or hiking with your dog on technical trails with a leash is dangerous.
                                                            I just wish that we could not make it hard for good dogs, and good owners.
                                                            Trail runners, and mountain bikers all have dogs. We maintain the trails on our time our money. We pick up garbage left behind from kids or people. We are in those trails every day!
                                                            The people that complain are there once or twice a year.
                                                            For trail runners, mountain bikers this is our back yard.
                                                            People are making it hard for us to come and enjoy the park. let us go for a run with our best furry friend.
                                                            Or at least give us off leash hours or the upper trails.
                                                            Give the lower lake to the dogs who have to be leashed.

Posted: March 29, 2015 07:07:55 AM PST

Dayna Egyed from Cloverdale writes:

I love Buntzen lake, and the best part is seeing most dogs run free. I know that there are laws about dogs being on leash, but I have ran many trails, and dogs that run free are happier. The only dog attacks I have seen have happened in dog parks, or because the dog is on leash.
                                                              Dog parks and leashes make dogs feel they have to protect their owners. It creates a problems em, and causes dogs to pack and pick on weak dogs.
                                                              I think that there should be parks that have off leash hrs.
                                                              Or make the lower lake trail for leashes but the upper trails to be off leash. Running with your dog on technical trails with a leash is dangerous.
                                                              I just wish that we could not make it hard for good dogs, and good owners.
                                                              Trail runners, and mountain bikers all have dogs. We maintain the trails on our time our money. And people are making it hard for us to come and enjoy the park. let us go for a run with our best furry friend.
                                                              Dogs need to run free!

Posted: March 28, 2015 09:43:28 PM PST

Dayna Egyed from Cloverdale writes:

I love Buntzen lake, and the best part is seeing most dogs run free. I know that there are laws about dogs being on leash, but I have ran Many mountains and trails, and dogs that run free are happier. the only dog attacks I have seen are in dog parks. Or a dog on a leash is aggressive.
                                                                I think that there should be parks that have off leash hrs.
                                                                I just wish that we could not make it hard for good dogs, and good owners.

Posted: March 28, 2015 08:55:38 PM PST

Richard from Coquitlam writes:

It is October 26,2014 ,Sunday evening, around 6 o'clock. We just have finish our hike around the lake when suddenly I got severe bowel problem. I rush to the washroom. There were two young people ( boy and girl) cleaning the place. I asked them if I can use the toilet. The answer was: NO, because the park is close at 6 pm. I said: is 6.03 pm and this is emergency situation. They said: we do not care, is after 6. I asked: what I suppose to do in this case, I even offer them to clean the toilet after using. The answer was this same: we do not care. No mercy, no respect. I am 61 years old men begging them for allowing me to use the toilet, they could be my children. It would happen this same to their parents. This is the most embarrassing and degrading moment in my life. I wonder who is responsible for training and hiring this people to work in public sector and deal so rudely with park visitors. What kind of impression would be left if that was happen to somebody visiting our beautiful Canada from foreign country.

Richard Kobylt
                                                                  Coquitlam resident

Posted: October 26, 2014 08:16:29 PM PST

Bob from coquitlam writes:

Just in reply to Ann - Don't blame others for your unpreparedness.

The lake is always busy on sunny summer weekends and holidays. You must be there before 10:00. A gorgeous lake on a hot day - of course its going to be busy !

Their policy is to close the park to vehicle traffic once the lots are full, as to prevent long lines of cars on Sunnyside Road. Cars on Sunnyside Road will impede emergency vehicles, which are called out to the lake quite often. Imagine someone drowning - its literally seconds between life and death.

There are many resources to find out information about the park, the best being... www.buntzenlake.ca or call the warden's office at 604-469-9679.

Posted: September 3, 2014 09:07:42 PM PST

Ann Strench from North Vancouver writes:

Went to the Lake today. What a mess! It felt like the BC Ferries. The staff were not letting people into the parking lots. We then had to walk 3 kilometres in order to get to the dog park at the lake. I am diabetic and it was very hot and I did not realize that it was going to be such a hike. We tried twice to get in by car, but were told the car-park was full. We even said (and showed the man) that we had a dog and we were going to the Dog Park. Still would not let us in. So we parked at the Anmore (Municipal) Hall. When we finally got to the dog parking lot there were 64 empty parking stalls that I counted!!! I was so mad that I started to cry (blood sugar must have taken a dive) and then some woman yelled at me about the dog. I just broke down in front of some strangers. They very kindly ferried my husband to our vehicle and drove him back to the park. I am flabbergasted at the people who look after the lake. The dog park was not busy today, but yes, the beach for non-doggie owners was. Here we get punished again. Thanks very much.

Posted: August 3, 2014 08:48:21 PM PST

Bob from Coquitlam writes:

Hiking time around the lake is so subjective. Trail runners can do it in 45 mins and some people really really take their time and could be 4 or 5 hours. My average is 1 hr 50 mins and that's no running - just a fast walk.

The only thing that doesn't change is that the loop is 10km long.

Here's more info on the Buntzen Lake loop...

Posted: July 28, 2014 07:52:49 PM PST

Tracey from Coquitlam writes:

It really only takes 2 1/2 hrs

Posted: June 14, 2014 11:46:49 PM PST

Dianne from Vancouver writes:

Beautiful hike! Amazing views, and a great workout. However I think the rating "easy" should be changed to intermediate. I've done The Grouse Grind a couple times and 20 other hikes on this website, so I'm not a newbie hiker. Some parts of this hike are pretty steep as you are literally climbing a mountain. Just a warning to anyone expecting this to be a leisurely walk like some other "easy" hikes on this website.

Posted: June 13, 2014 10:50:22 PM PST

Mary from Vancouver writes:

Wow, i was so surprised to see so many people whining about the dogs being off leash because their wives have weird phobias and all. I went for a hike today with my husband and mom, we saw plenty of dogs off the leash and all of them were amazing and well-behaved, not even one dog had an owner out of sight or did anything that would disturb a normal person. I agree that if your dog is aggressive and doesn't like to stay in your sight then he/she needs a leash, but if your dog is a lovely pup following your family, it doesn't bother me at all, all of the doggies gave me and my family plenty of smiles today.
                                                                              Great hike, wonderful experience, yay to good dogs and their owners

Posted: May 18, 2014 02:56:20 PM PST

Bob from Coquitlam writes:

Amazing place, amazing hikes.

Done Buntzen Lake hike over 100 times and never get tired of it.

Here's a little website I started for more info on Buntzen Lake...

Posted: March 27, 2014 06:20:35 PM PST

Pat from Victoria, BC writes:

Beautiful picturesque lake similar to Thetis Lake near Victoria but larger and more challenging trails. A great workout with lots of places to picnic and relax. Went twice over Thanksgiving and my legs felt amazing.

Posted: October 18, 2013 12:14:55 AM PST

Sonja from Mission writes:

Although I would love to let my dogs run free, I know that it isn't always safe for them. Not just because of wildlife, but because of people in general. My dogs are rescues. One has come a long way but the other is VERY shy and VERY timid. She bolts at the smallest of sounds. Neither is aggressive in any way shape or form but for their safety, they are leashed. What bothers me most however, is the disrespect from people who think it's okay to just waltz up and pet my dogs! Can you not see the terror in their eyes? ASK FIRST!!! I would not pick up your child without asking first. Why do you think it's okay to invade my dogs' space without asking? Sorry...but this happens everywhere and people need to stop blaming dogs for everything and start taking a good hard look in the mirror!! The trails are for everyone and we all need to be respectful.

Posted: August 30, 2013 09:33:42 AM PST

Vita & Mike from North Vancouver writes:

It's a beautiful lake but definitely overrated. There was no parking. All the parking lots were full. This lake is more used as a park, not hiking destination. Most of the people were there to bbq not hike. We ended up looking for parking for 1 hour and walking about 2 km to get to the hike.
                                                                                      Liked the hike itself. Pretty easy and steady.

Posted: August 26, 2013 08:04:44 PM PST

John from Vancouver writes:

I walked the Buntzen Lake Trail today; my iPod pedometer came up with a distance of over 10.4 KM and my GPS app which displayed a track the same as the one on this site as 9.5 KM – in any event it’s more than 8 KM.

I don’t understand the debate over dogs. My dog runs ahead, detours into the water every chance she gets, largely ignores people and comes when called. If I hear people coming I call her and, based on their reaction decide to leash. In my view the leash isn’t the issue; it’s the temperament of the dog and the respectful conduct of its owner. Conversely, people who think they are not going to encounter dogs on a trail have their heads on some other continent.

Posted: August 1, 2013 10:34:10 PM PST

|Henry from Burnaby writes:

Keeping the dogs as pets is not natural too. Let the dogs go back to wild. Otherwise, follow the rules. Or advise the government to change the rule that the trail belongs to dogs not human.

Posted: July 27, 2013 07:18:22 AM PST

d johnson from port coquitlam writes:

was here last weekend, did the lake trail maybe once a month. saw two bears on the hike last weekend around 6pm, both on the same side as the diaz vista trail.

one was running across the bridge we were trying to cross, we backed off and made noise and it ran into the woods.

second was about 15 mins later, 20m off into the trees, looked at us for a while and then walked off over the hill.

Posted: July 9, 2013 01:42:02 PM PST

Kim from Surrey writes:

Interesting debate about off or on leash.....I think it depends on the environment you are in and how responsible and experienced the owner/ dog pair actually is. The rules in any park or public space should be 'dog under control' which may or may not mean use of a leash.
                                                                                              Most trails have terrain that makes it unsafe for other trails users to have me leash my dog. Hikers complain when the dog is free but how would you feel if if my dog and I took you out (tripped/ knocked you over) on the trail with the leash??
                                                                                              Really this is all about common sense but lets face it the rules are there because the dog owners that LACK common sense ruin it for the rest of us.
                                                                                              PS - perhaps the guy that smells like a ferret should be leashed!

Posted: July 9, 2013 11:28:31 AM PST

Ann Whaley from Surrey writes:

I love to walk around Buntzen lake with my 2 small dogs and am so thankful leash laws are not heavily enforced. They are well-behaved and respectful and we even passed close (20 feet) to a bear last time around and the dogs didn't go running in after it or even bark. Dogs need some places like Buntzen to run free, they are normally too restricted and need more places. A lot of us dog owners don't have back yards as if they would be big enough anyways!

Posted: July 3, 2013 01:40:42 AM PST

Igor from Vancouver writes:

Hike is nice and shady, however there are too many people with dogs who disregard the on-leash signs! This is really frustrating! They let their dogs run loose quite far ahead of them, and sometimes you meet a dog with no owner in sight.

See, my wife is afraid of dogs due to prior encounters with packs of stray dogs in the city in home country. Besides that we keep ferrets at home and our clothes do retain some ferret smell. Combination of these two factors make even the most "well-behaved dogs" (as their owners often claim) become aggressive and bark loudly when approaching us on a trail.

Regardless of what all of you say about dogs being off leash - public places like parks and trails ARE NOT to be off leash areas. Your dog, regardless of how tame and well behaved it is, is still an animal that can behave unpredictable and become aggressive towards people who are afraid of dogs. And since trails are for the public and enjoyment of everyone, the dog leash rules must be obeyed. Would you like your dog to be put to sleep just because you let it loose and it bit a fellow hiker? If you want to have your dogs run loose - do it in your own back yard or in any other dedicated non-public area, but not on any public parks or trails. Otherwise you are infringing the rights of other people (even if there are just a few of them).

Posted: May 12, 2013 01:06:44 PM PST

Julie Parker from Vancouver writes:

I have a well behaved dog. We would like to do more off leash hikes. Thank you for the comment about bears!! That makes total sense, dog runs into the forest, brings back bear. When would a safe time to hike be in your opinion then, anyway, thanks, we cant wait to find some more trails, love it out there. Enjoy Beautiful BC everyone!!

Posted: April 26, 2013 08:18:51 AM PST

Margee from New Westminster writes:

Liz Towers from New West, I so totally agree with you. I don't believe in leash laws either. Plus, on a lot of trails it's impossible to leash your dog when the trail is rugged or you have to ascend/descend. Seriously, the bureaucrats have never thought about what it's like to walk on a rugged trail with two large dogs on a leash. I went to this website hoping to find places where I can hike with my dogs off-leash, but it seems all trails are on-leash. And then to think that these trails are way out of the city. Where can I hike with my dogs off the leash? And don't come to me with those stupid fenced off areas which are totally boring for most dogs and also inadequate for high energy dogs like huskies. Liz, thanks for your comment. I was wondering if I should go to Buntzen Lake with my dogs, but after reading your comment, I may not.

Posted: April 17, 2013 05:57:22 PM PST

liz towers from new west writes:

too many people on the trail...my dogs couldnt relax, i will NEVER leash my dog when NOT on trails, why should they be leashed? dogs are MEANT to run free, just like you and me........also parents PLEASE leash your kids, theyre SLOW walking...and they annoy me. LOVE, from a dog lover.

LET YOUR DOGS RUN FREE ! SAY NO TO LEASHES IN PARKS AND TRAILS !!!! its not natural!

Posted: April 10, 2013 07:10:43 PM PST

For your safety from British Columbia writes:

K from Coquitlam, I believe the reasoning for dogs on leash especially right now is the good old bears are coming out of hibernation.

Every hike I've done the past 2 weeks I've seen big and cub tracks of an abnormal amount. Off leash = a reason for a bear to approach you.

The same goes for anywhere right now... It's for your SAFETY.

I always let my dog off leash once the bears are awake and not starving anymore.

Posted: April 3, 2013 07:52:24 PM PST

K from Coquitlam writes:

People on here make too big of a deal about the dogs off leash. If your dog is friendly and well behaved, it isn't any different than letting your child run wild. Not all of us like kids either you know. I understand its a rule for part of the trails, but come on people, is it really hurting you? Pull those panties out of that twist yo.

Posted: April 3, 2013 03:34:46 PM PST

Miss from Vancouver writes:

Has anyone hiked this trail in the last week? The weather has been fabulous recently and I'm hoping the trail has dried out a bit and isn't muddy.
                                                                                                              thanks

Posted: March 28, 2013 02:23:33 PM PST

Theresa from Coquitlam writes:

We hiked this 2 weeks ago, a little wet in some spots but winter conditions are very good.

Posted: February 18, 2013 12:00:25 PM PST

Alexandria from Vancouver writes:

has anyone hiked it recently to know what the winter conditions are like?

Posted: February 15, 2013 09:37:02 PM PST

Darryl from Surrey writes:

My wife and I did the trail yesterday August 11 2012. It was our 1st time. We did it counter clockwise and with a lunch break and stops along the way took 4 hours 15 minutes. I agree that this should be done clockwise to get the harder of the two sides done 1st .. lol. We enjoyed it and have some great pics. We heard a few small critters but saw done. Dogs should be leashed. We will reccomend this hike to others and do it again.

Posted: August 12, 2012 08:14:39 AM PST

Jack from Vancouver writes:

Our family hiked the trail today, quiet and serene. Very easy as one of our sons commented that he was bored and not as challenging as the GG, he much preferred the GG. Great for families on a casual stroll. However, I wished that the dog owners would obey the rules and place their dogs on leashes. Of about 20 + dogs that we enountered today, only 2 were on leashes. Not everyone is dog lover. And some of these dogs are larger than a child and very intimidating.

Posted: July 22, 2012 05:25:47 PM PST

Bob from Coquitlam writes:

This is such a great hike. I've do it at least once/week in the summer and often more, like the past three days !

The trail is about 90% shade, so its a great reprieve from the hot sun.

There are bears there, but I've never seen one (knock on wood). Most of the trails have a gravel base, so when you walk, you naturally make noise - the bears here it and keep out of your way.

Most of the dogs are off leash, but they seem to be well behaved, so it doesn't bother me.

If you hike fast and don't stop, you can do it in under 2 hours easy. But if you want to take it easy, the north beach is a great little break, where you can have lunch or a snack and go for a quick dip.

If you go on a sunny summer weekend, you have to get there early - like before 10:00. After the parking lots are full, its shut down for the day. A couple of weekends ago, I saw the full sign at 10:30. When its full, they put a full signs on some of the street signs on the way up there, so you don't have to go all the way, just to find its full. Although, I have in the past, parking on someone's lawn for a small fee and walked into the park.

Also, if you like running, keep your eyes on the ground watching out for roots and rocks. I saw someone take a bad tumble the other day - he's lucky - a tree stopped his fall. Some areas, it's a sharp drop down a cliff !

Posted: July 17, 2012 08:24:06 PM PST

Mike from Coquitlam writes:

Nice hike. Beautiful lake, great views, and good mix of terrain. I'd recommend doing the loop in a clockwise direction though. My buddy and I started around 11am on a hot summer day and in a counter clockwise direction,which put us at the powerline section(NW portion of the loop) right around 1pm, and crossing the open rock face in the blistering sun! Next time I'd do the loop in the opposite direction which would have us in the shade on the east side of the lake when the temp starts to rise. Live and learn!

Posted: June 3, 2012 03:25:18 AM PST

Megan from Chemainus writes:

Hi there. I will be moving to Port Moody soon and am really excited about all of the great hiking trails in the area! I was wondering if this trail is suitable for a stroller or if I should purchase a carrier for him? (he's 2, so a stroller would be easier on my back!) Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Posted: May 22, 2012 04:18:17 PM PST

Al and Mel from White Rock writes:

We did the circuit around the lake this past week. The trail was in great shape. We went short side first then over the suspension bridge and back along the side with the power lines. Seciton 2 is much more hilly but much less busy also. Only passed 2 parties on that side of the lake, whereas we passed about 12 on the other. We had our dog on leash the whole way...unfortunately we were the only ones that pay attention to the rules though. Great hike, chilly day but it was great. It was our first time in the area.

Posted: March 23, 2012 09:43:17 AM PST

katie from vancouver writes:

This is an amazing hike. I ran round in 1.15 minutes...or a very brisk walk takes 2 hours but stopping for a picnic at the north end would be fab. I also took my dog as it is an ON LEASH area so please tell me why I had to stop 12 times to pass dogs off the leash and out of control???? There is a designated off leash dog section with a fab beach and loads of space......is this not good enough? LEASH YOUR DOGS please.Aside from that it is great.

Posted: March 9, 2012 11:56:34 AM PST

Mg50 from Abbotsford writes:

What a beautiful hike
                                                                                                                                  Approx 2hrs 25
                                                                                                                                  Did east side first 51 min
                                                                                                                                  West side is deceivingly longer

Posted: November 5, 2011 09:20:49 PM PST

Carolyn Bartel from Chilliwack, B.C. writes:

Just hiked Buntzen lake for the first time ever. Never had been there before and it was a good hike. The floating bridge is open....so glad for that!!! Enjoy the beautiful autumn hike.

Posted: October 15, 2011 09:33:28 AM PST

berhe G from Chilliwack writes:

are there safety issues whn hicking Buntzen lake? What about the hydro power lines?

Posted: October 12, 2011 12:48:18 PM PST

vancouver hiker from Vancouver writes:

in the park, "Dogs must be on a leash on all trails except for the designated 'dog off-leash' area and a 600 meter trail on the southeast end of the lake"

Posted: August 16, 2011 04:43:36 PM PST

Izaak from Surrey writes:

Went today; lots of good scenery and no bears to be seen! Hike is not challenging and very pretty, only took 3.5 hours taking stops for pictures.

Posted: August 13, 2011 07:06:40 PM PST

hiker from poco writes:

Why so many off-leash dog owners on the trail?

Posted: August 10, 2011 09:16:56 AM PST

lchristie from Coquitlam writes:

Did this hike today and the trail was in perfect condition. A bear was spotted by other hikers alongside the trail and then crossing the path. A good walk

Posted: August 5, 2011 06:53:43 PM PST

Gary from Surrey, BC writes:

Can anyone tell me if the floating bridge is now open?

Posted: July 6, 2011 02:51:21 PM PST

The Mortgage Diva from Langley writes:

July 1. Hiked today. Beware of Cougar noticeably growling and stalking us on the lower trail about 5 minutes from the suspension bridge in the area underneath the power lines. Scared the pants off of us. Didn't see any sign of bears...yet. All the trails are open and the lake is back down to normal.

Posted: July 1, 2011 08:22:44 PM PST

Jodie from surrey writes:

hiked this last saturday on the 11th of june on the other side of the suspension bridge my group saw a black bear on the trail had to backtrack. be careful. but other then that excellent trail.

Posted: June 18, 2011 09:13:36 AM PST

Sheri from Chilliwack writes:

Hiked this trail today, June 5. Floating bridge closed. We cut across upstream - very muddy! No sign postage at the northern end of the trail!

Posted: June 5, 2011 08:16:01 PM PST

HeatherB from Moncton,NB writes:

Tried to do this trail on Saturday, May 28th.
                                                                                                                                                        Floating bridge was still closed and some trails were flooded!

Posted: May 30, 2011 09:45:17 AM PST

CK from Langley writes:

Hiked today and it was not flooded! Floating bridge was open! We were very happy to see this since it added another hour on to the end of the hike when the bridge was under water a month ago.
                                                                                                                                                          The trail was still closed in parts, but we went past the fence anyways and it was fine. Saw lots of other people on the trail who did the same thing!

Posted: May 22, 2011 09:50:33 PM PST

Sin from Surrey writes:

Did you go Amy? How was the trail? We are going this weekend.rnThanks.

Posted: May 11, 2011 12:06:57 AM PST

Amy from Surrey writes:

I was planning on heading there on Sunday, May 8th for a hike. I was wondering if the train is still under water? Thank you! :)

Posted: May 6, 2011 05:29:05 PM PST

Sin from Surrey writes:

I plan to go this weekend with some friends, does anyone know if the water has gone? Thanks alot!

Posted: May 5, 2011 09:49:48 PM PST

Carole from Maple Ridge writes:

Hiked today & trails still under water . Too bad its taking so long .

Posted: May 1, 2011 06:50:20 PM PST

laurence from vancouver writes:

How is it now?
                                                                                                                                                                    I wnet to buntzen lake 3 weeks ago, there were lot of water. I would like to go tomorrow, do you know if the trail are still closed?
                                                                                                                                                                    thanks

Posted: April 2, 2011 05:19:36 PM PST

Rashmi from India writes:

I am planning to do this hike this weekend. Are trails still flooded ??

Posted: February 23, 2011 10:19:26 AM PST

Ben from coquitlam writes:

detour kills fun of the trail these days
                                                                                                                                                                        love the view to the lake
                                                                                                                                                                        hope it becomes normal sooner or later.

Posted: January 14, 2011 09:51:05 AM PST

Kristy from Vancouver writes:

We hiked today on Thanksgiving Monday to walk off our big dinner, our first time here. Lovely park, beautiful fall colours this time of year.

Most of the trail on the west side of the lake is under water, so detours were necessary. The signs said it could add a few hours to the hike, making it 5-8 hours to get all the way around the lake.

We just hiked as far as wanted to go half way, then came back the same side. Next time I want to hike the farther west trail for the views of Indian Arm.

Posted: October 12, 2010 08:29:22 AM PST

Z from vancity writes:

@J I just hiked it this morning with some friends, and the trails were perfect. About half way our hike we found a great spot to go swimming. I loved it though the water was cold. Have a great hike!

Posted: September 2, 2010 08:48:59 PM PST

J from Vancouver writes:

We are thinking of doing this hike this long weekend, does anyone know if the trail is still under water?

Posted: September 2, 2010 04:49:15 PM PST

Lesley from Burnaby writes:

My son hiked this a few months ago and reported that most of the trail on the east side of the lake is under water, and hikers must go along a higher up, hilly access road. Is that side still under water?

Posted: August 27, 2010 03:42:48 PM PST

Marion Sherman from Langley B.C. writes:

Buntzen Lake is favourite for me; either by rowboat or on foot. Try the Diez Vista trail up to Ferrer Peak. A half hour climb past the South Bridge; a gentle incline at first - then intense, but so
                                                                                                                                                                                  worth it! The views from this little Mountain show Port Moody, Sasamat Lake, Bedwell Bay, Vancouver, Belcarra and Deep Cove are quite spectacular. Also terrific
                                                                                                                                                                                  by boat; find a quiet rocky outcrop - sit
                                                                                                                                                                                  in the shade with good food, even enjoy a clean and refreshing swim!

Posted: July 7, 2010 06:05:19 PM PST

Jeannie from Langley writes:

The Buntzen Lake area & trails are beautiful and well maintained. Dont forget to bring your camera, and maybe some bear spray. We went June 3 2010 in the evening and when we were walking back to the car at 8:30pm, we saw a bear on the trail walking right toward us.

Posted: July 1, 2010 10:12:39 PM PST

Sara V from Burnaby writes:

I would have to say this is one of my fav hikes. I love the view I get to look at while we hike around the lake. We start at the south beach and hug the lake and go all the way around to the north beach. Have a snack and water and look at the amazing view and carry on to the second half. I would actually say at the north side of the beach you've probably done 1/3 of the hike. I barely ever see people on the seocnd half as most people do the first half (it's always busy on that end). the second half isn't as flat as the first half but it's just as gorgeous and relaxing. Recommend to all :)

Posted: June 21, 2010 08:53:59 AM PST

Jason Andrew from North Shore writes:

Bravo to BC Hydro, this park is very well maintained and the scenery is top notch. By the way this is not a flip-flop trail! You'll need at least a good pair of runners.

Posted: September 16, 2009 04:46:30 PM PST

Hiker from Pitt Meadows writes:

Went for a hike on the Labour Day long weekend. Was a good hike but heard a bear growl about 2 km in.

Posted: September 7, 2009 12:09:29 PM PST

Tamie from Vancouver writes:

We did this hike May 9, 2009. Nice, easy, quiet. I would consider taking my mother on this hike.

3.5 hours is a generous time allowance for the 8km. This is nice place for novice hikers, children, or for an easy hiking day early in the season.

Posted: May 25, 2009 09:53:35 AM PST

Lori from Coquitlam writes:

Is the distance stated here, 11km, correct? Most other sites, including the Hydro one, put the Buntzen Lake Trail at 8km. Perhaps the others are not including the distance from the parking lot to the trail and then from the end of the trail back to the parking lot? Anyone have an answer?
                                                                                                                                                                                              I am recovering from several MVA injuries and find this trail to be perfect for rehab, a person can walk it slowly to start and then build up to running if/when ready. Gets a bit too busy on summer weekends, but is great during the spring/fall/winter season.

Posted: November 14, 2008 09:23:34 PM PST

Brian from Burbany writes:

The less populated west side has more ups and downs than the east side but the scenery is worth it. Steady going got me to the north end beach in about 75 minutes and back along the east side to the parking lot another 60 minutes. Many thanks to the people who have done such a great job of maintaining the condition of the trail.

Posted: September 28, 2008 05:36:40 PM PST

Tyler Ingram from Pitt Meadows writes:

Buntzen is my fav local day hike and it takes me 4 hours to do the lake loop while I take my time. It also offers great photography ops too.

I normally heard to the east side and go north rather than the west side. The north beach is great for resting having lunch etc or even taking a swim off the dock.

It is also more relaxing because you normally will not see families or tourists on that side of the lake because it takes a good deal of walking to get there.

Posted: June 18, 2008 06:28:33 AM PST

Phil River from Vancouver writes:

This was a good hike, with lots of challenging uphills but enough flat areas for you to recover before the next big hill. The area was flooded but I got around the extra 3km (total 13km) in about 3.5 hours, so the estimate of 4-5 hours from the site map when you get there is quite an overestimation. All in all a fun hike, would be nice to go back in the summer and hang out on the beach.

Posted: April 7, 2008 01:33:43 PM PST

Jacques from Port Moody writes:

Having done this hike several times, I was surprised to find that the water level is so high this winter that the floating bridge at the south end of the lake has been destroyed. The detour route is an added 3km long and goes out to the front gates of the park and down the pumphouse road.

Still a nice hike throughout the year. Parts of the trail have been rebuilt and new gravel leveled out the trail. Buntzen Lake is very well maintained.

Posted: April 6, 2008 08:01:56 PM PST