May 22, 2020
Last Updated: Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:32pm PST. With the rapid changes we are experiencing from the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be doing our best to keep you updated on various relevant closures. It’s best to check multiple sources before you leave for your outdoor adventure as the situation has been changing very rapidly.
If you are planning a hike, please read the BC Search and Rescue Association’s tips on being safe during the COVID-19 outbreak while being in the outdoors.
These are the current closures that we are aware of that may affect access to hiking trails or other related events and activities in the region. We will update this list as information becomes available.
- BC Parks – BC Parks has opened some Provincial Parks as of May 14th. To see a list of BC Parks near Vancouver that are open and others that remain closed, click here.
- Recreation Sites – Trails are open.
- Stanley Park Roads – Roads in Stanley Park are closed to traffic (with the exception of the causeway). Visitors to Stanley Park should adhere to social distancing rules and follow signage for areas that have restrictions.
South of Vancouver
- Reifel Bird Sanctuary – The Reifel Bird Sanctuary is closed until further notice.
- Quarry Rock – The Quarry Rock Trail in North Vancouver is closed indefinitely.
- Mount Seymour – Closed. The parking lot and access road have been closed.
- Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Parking Lot – The Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge is closed. This will affected several hiking trails, including Twin Falls and the Baden Powell.
- Grouse Mountain – Closed indefinitely. This includes the Skyride, so hikers who plan to do the BCMC Trail will not be able to take the gondola back down.
- Cypress Mountain – Closed. The parking lot and access road have been closed.
Squamish, Whistler, Sea To Sky Region
- The Stawamus Chief – All trails to the top of the Chief in Squamish have been closed.
- Sea to Summit Trail – Is closed as the lower section of the route travels through the Stawamus Chief Provincial Park.
- Joffre Lakes – Joffre Lakes Provincial Park is currently closed.
- Nairn Falls – The campsite and hiking trails are closed at Nairn Falls Provincial Park.
East of Vancouver and Fraser Valley
- Brae Island – Brae Island Regional Park in Langley is closed.
- Hayward Lake – All facilities and the parking lot are closed at Hayward Lake.
Chilliwack and East
- Bridal Veil Falls – Bridal Veil Falls Provincial Park is currently closed.
- Othello Tunnels – Coquihalla Canyon Provincial Park is currently closed.
- Park’s Canada – All trails, parking lots, and visitor services in all national parks, national historic sites and national marine conservation areas across the country are closed until further notice.
- BC Mountaineer Club – All BCMC events, trips, and social events are canceled until further notice. All BCMC Cabins are closed, including the Watersprite Lake Cabin.