Panorama Ridge - Comments

4.9 4.9 out of 5 - 20 reviews

View Panorama Ridge Description | Add Comment

mike from maple ridge writes:

Pick a clear day ! nothing more frustrating than hiking that far and missing out on the view.
That being said ,still beautiful

Posted: July 21, 2014 06:28:27 AM PST

Karl from Vancouver writes:

Anyone been up Panorama Ridge in the past week? Looking to go up this weekend and wondering if we need snowshoes.

Thanks

Posted: July 15, 2014 06:56:42 AM PST

Eric from Midland, MI writes:

Went up to the ridge twice on a recent backpacking trip. First time, everything was white and all I could see was clouds. Today, July 6, I got up to the ridge after camping at an unnamed nearly frozen lake and had a beautiful panoramic view. This was one of the best views I have ever seen! There is still a lot of snow, but the path is well worn. For a quick and fun descent, glissade down the snow parallel to the trail.

Posted: July 6, 2014 09:37:56 PM PST

Mike from Burnaby writes:

@Ruth

Still plenty of snow in the area, although it's melting quickly. Here's an update on Garibaldi Lake from someone who went on Sunday, June 22nd.

Posted: June 23, 2014 10:41:44 PM PST

Ruth from Coquitlam writes:

Looking to do this hike in 2 weekends anyone have eyes or ears or insight on the conditions? Snow? Hike-able? Please let me know :D

Posted: June 23, 2014 05:54:52 PM PST

Ivan from Vancouver writes:

Hi Mitch, how is the view now from the Panorama Ridge? just snow?

Also it's my first hike in the area. I am planning to leave my tent and gears at the Garibaldi Campground and then go for the hike to the ridge, is theft a problem in this area?

Where can I find a trial map btw?

Thanks!

Posted: June 6, 2014 02:33:37 AM PST

Mitch from Whistler writes:

Route to summit from north is all on snow. Ridgetop snowfree. Early morning travel to take advantage of evening refreeze recommended.

Posted: June 5, 2014 10:49:09 PM PST

Seth from Fort Collins, CO writes:

Hiked Panorama Ridge today after a late start. I was considering Black Tusk but decided against it due to time and lack of proper hiking boots (there appears to be more snow on final ascent to tusk). Started at noon, took about 8 hours including the last 6k back to the parking lot with a headlamp. The weather was fantastic and views were tremendous. The trail was in pretty good shape for this time of year as I only ran into snow covering for the last 3k up the ridge. I threw on some runners for this last stretch, otherwise I did the whole hike in Chacos. I stayed to the west side of the ridge where the snow was softer from the sun so I could actually dig in. For others I would recommend crampons as the more well traveled areas are solid ice. It was not overly difficult but was a very enjoyable day hike.

Posted: October 24, 2013 04:15:56 AM PST

Kris from Vancouver writes:

Hiked from Garibaldi to Panorama Ridge with a friend on a sunny day. Power hiked up and ran down..took us about 7 hours(including, lunch, stops, bathroom breaks etc). Trail runners were sufficient, though hiking boots and gaiters would have been nice for the last few km up to the Ridge. On our way down, we detoured to Garibaldi lake instead of going through Taylor meadows campground.

Spectacular views and completely worth the climb up to the top of the Ridge.

Posted: September 26, 2013 10:33:18 PM PST

Jonah Fernandez from Burnaby writes:

Did this yesterday and it was incredible. About 8.5-9 hours round trip. There's something very satisfying about starting in the thick of the forest and ending up on a snow-covered peak. The hike itself isn't too difficult up until closer to the ridge and we were lucky that another group had gone earlier than us because the markers were so few and far between that we ended up just following the footprints in the snow.

Others have mentioned that you could avoid the snow by walking around it. In our case it was impossible; the mountain was full with fresh snow by the time we got there. However, the payoff is definitely worth it. Garibaldi Lake is stunning!

Posted: September 26, 2013 10:29:10 AM PST

Christoph from Vienna writes:

My girlfriend and I did the hike to Panorama Ridge yesterday, September 11th.

We started at Rubble Creek Parking lot at 7:15 and it took us about 12hours to complete the tour. But it must be said that we stayed 1 1/2 hours on top and had a swim at the lake where we paused another 45 minutes. Furthermore, this was basically the first hike we have ever done longer than a few km or 2-3 hours and we didn't train for it either.

I can only agree with all of you guys, it's the most amazing thing EVAR to end up at the peak and see the turquoise color of Garibaldi Lake.

The meadows are hardly blooming anymore, but still the hike is scenic. And towards the end of the hike, there's a little snow on the way, but you can easily pass by (but pass it on the right-hand side as on the left the rocks are quite slippery.)

It's definitely possible to do it in a day, but start early and be prepared for the soreness to come as well as for one of the most amazing views ever.

So do it! And have fun!

Posted: September 12, 2013 04:06:24 PM PST

Michael from Surrey writes:

Hiked up September 1:

10 hours round trip including 1 hour lunch up top of Panorama Ridge. Get to the trail-head in the early morning so you don't feel rushed about the shorter daylight. Taylor meadow flowers are no longer in full bloom but the meadows are still scenic. Large human presence on the trails to alert any bears.

Proper hiking shoes are recommended for the ridge. We saw people with runners but their feet must be sore. As for the snow patch near the ridge, many hikers were just walking around it by scaling the flat rock to the side. It is not something of a concern considering it is only 6 inches deep, but slippery in some sections. The trail up to the ridge doesn't really resemble a trail - you have cairns indicating the path but you can negotiate a better route if need be.

Posted: September 1, 2013 09:33:12 PM PST

Barb from Hamilton writes:

I hiked from the Garibaldi parking lot to Panorama Ridge. Started late at 11:30am. The rocks on the ridge aren't too bad if you take it slow. I had to turn back at the snow patch because I was just wearing running shoes. They should put a chain running along the snow in case of a slip.

Posted: September 1, 2013 04:39:11 PM PST

HopperGoLightly from Burnaby writes:

Planning to camp at Taylor Meadows and hike Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge beginning this Sunday. Although I have hiked Garabaldi Lake and base of the Tusk, I cannot recall if there is drinkable water source. Hoping avoid carrying water for three days. I've been checking online resources and I've read that there is water and that there is not. Can anyone confirm whether there is any drinkable water?

Posted: August 22, 2013 11:48:22 AM PST

Alex from Vancouver writes:

I've done this trail today. Myself and my friend we've finished it in 8.5h with 1h of lunch at the top and at at Garibaldi Lake.

There were clouds at the top so we could not see the lake from there. The hike was pretty good. The last 3 km to the top are a bit intense as you have to watch your step and in our case we had to find our way through a dense fog(cloud).

The Garibaldi Lake is one of the most beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, unreal places on Earth! The colour of the lake is so wonderful. The mountains that are surrounding it are astonishing! This lake it's a must see!! I can only imagine how beautiful the view must be from the top. But even being next to the lake it was pretty awesome!!!

On our way down we took the other way so we passed the Lesser Garibaldi Lake which is very beautiful as well.

The hike can be done in a day but you have to be prepared for a good, long hike. Also, is good to have plenty of food with you. There are springs of water all over the place so you'll never run out of water :).

Posted: August 17, 2013 09:17:07 PM PST

Dave from Burnaby writes:

This is my favourite hike. Panorama Ridge from the Rubble Creek Parking lot in a day is challenging, but since I don't camp, I just do it!

On August 7th, we hiked it. First, the bad part. The bugs were annoying, but if you keep moving, it's okay. I put a towel over my head and ears and that I found was effective in keeping them away from my ears and hair. Very surprised how well it worked. The bugs were only bad in stretches. Repellant barely works on them. Tiger Balm is great for itchy bites! Might repel them too, but need more testing.

Many positives! Taylor Meadows is in full bloom. Just an awesome display of colours! There is a little snow left near the top, but not much, and easily done if you have good foot wear and a hiking pole. Garibaldi Lake was a deep turqoise color. Unreal. Some people bum-slid down on the snow. Only saw a few people the whole day. A fantastic day.

Posted: August 8, 2013 01:56:03 PM PST

Brian from Surrey writes:

Hiked it today. It can be done in one day but it can be a long one. My body was aching by the time I got to the car, but then I'm getting a bit old.

The views are pretty spectacular. I am glad I did it, despite the days of soreness to come.

Posted: August 4, 2013 10:04:40 PM PST

Ron Walker from vancouver writes:

Hiked this yesterday. Please make sure you leave plenty of time for this hike its long but worth it. If you plan the hike after Aug 1 you are unlikely to run into much snow. The meadows were spectacular and the view from the peak of the ridge well worth the difficult scramble which makes up the last kilometer of this hike. My wife and I while reasonably fit are not experienced hikers the roundtrip took 8 1/2 hours of pretty steady going.

Posted: August 4, 2013 12:07:24 PM PST

Alex from Vancouver writes:

Hello guys,

Has anyone been on Panorama Ridge recently? is there a lot of snow? can the trail be done in 1 day?

Thank you!

Posted: July 28, 2013 08:09:48 PM PST

Michael from Vancouver, BC writes:

We went up to Panoramic Ridge last weekend and there are patches of snow from the Panorama Ridge junction, but hard packed and not difficult. Microspikes will help but not necessary. Once you get on the ridge, there is no snow.

Posted: July 18, 2013 11:21:23 PM PST

Elaine from Vancouver writes:

Hello M4verick,

Thank you so much for the update!! I was there last year twice and I loved it!! Can't wait to go back but always wondering when the snow melts...It has been hot lately. Hopefully the snow melts faster.

Yes, please update us again on the trail condition. Thank you!! :)

Elaine

Posted: July 9, 2013 10:35:53 AM PST

M4verick from White Rock writes:

Yes, I was there with a friend on July 2nd 2013. We hiked all the way to the black tusk viewing area and down the southern cirque of black tusk. There was still lots of snow, but it is fairly hard; no snowshoes required.

As for panorama ridge I can tell you that there is tons of snow. So basically, if you fall you will slide and not stop. Not a good idea, but black tusk and the viewpoint are both fair game.

We are going back up on July 8th until the 11th. We will attempt panorama ridge and will report back ;)

Posted: July 7, 2013 05:22:38 PM PST

Nick from Vancouver writes:

Has anyone done this recently? Is it still snow covered? Would it be doable from Garibaldi Lake for a couple of relatively new hikers who have camped overnight at the lake?

Posted: July 2, 2013 10:44:50 AM PST

Naresh from vancouver writes:

Hello, we did this trail on 29th Sept. it was worth beauty to go there for the Panoramic view and beautiful nature. we took 11 hours all together to return to parking lot. it was not cold at all in trails and the path is pretty easy to follow even though you don't see many people for any help. We haven't seen any dangerous situations in this path. have fun!!! you really need to start early in the morning if you want to finish on the same day.

Posted: October 3, 2012 12:20:27 AM PST

Alexandra Nan from Vancouver writes:

Hi,

My friend and I are thinking of hiking Panorama Ridge in a day on Thanksgiving weekend. Any thoughts on what we should bring and if it is dangerous to do in early October?

Thanks!

Posted: September 25, 2012 10:52:21 PM PST

Raju from vancouver writes:

Hi guys,
we have decided to do this panorama ridge trail on Sep 29th saturday. Any comments, suggestions,advice welcome.
Should we go really in winter clothing with two layers of dresses............
please advise

Posted: September 24, 2012 04:28:08 PM PST

Paul from Delta writes:

Did the hike alone Sept 18th.
It is tough, especially near the end. If you decide to go all the way up, make sure to wear hiking boot. I was up with a runner and I couldn't finish the last part when the trail is cover by snow.
The weather was very nice, I started around noon, which was very late as it is 30k round trip. I did manage to finish before the sunset but it was a bit too much. The trail is well marked and very relaxing (except the last part)
One last thing, if you wish to do it in 1 day, make sure to bring enough water and food. And travel light.

Cheers,

Posted: September 21, 2012 08:33:06 PM PST

Nick from Kent, England writes:

Thanks for the advice. We're moving to Vancouver in March 2013 and as we're there for a year will perhaps look to do some easier local trails first to get our fitness up. I'm one of those people that has to buy all the gear when I get into something, so I'll make sure I've got adequate clothing when it comes to trying this one. Thanks again.

Posted: September 11, 2012 01:10:30 AM PST

Tyler from Portland, Oregon writes:

If at all possible you should do it. I did this hike two weeks ago with my girlfriend. She Hasn't seen very much mileage on the trail and she did it. I had her outfitted with the necessary attire and a hydration backpack though. The trail is very well marked. You just need to bring lots of food water and layers of clothes. The temperatures get pretty chilly on the ridge, and it rained while I was there (got a good view though). You could easily get hypothermia if you don't have the right clothes. It's probably even colder now. We did it in a day hike too. We started at 8:00 am and got back to the car at 6:30pm, and I could have done it much quicker if I was alone. I recommend staying a the Whistler RV park 10 minutes up the road towards Whistler, so you can wake up and start hiking. Have fun!

Posted: September 8, 2012 11:48:38 PM PST

Tyler Chromicz from Portland, Oregon writes:

Posted: September 8, 2012 10:35:23 PM PST

Nick from Kent, England writes:

Would this hike be an absolute no no to a couple of beginners? We're fit enough to do it, but our knowledge of hiking is non existent, other than the fact we're sensible people and would take sensible precautions to ensure a safe trip.

Any thoughts?

Posted: September 7, 2012 06:12:45 AM PST

Wongfu from Burnaby writes:

Hiked from the parking lot to Panorama Ridge on August 10th. 10-11 hours return trip. Trail is clear, but there is a stretch of snow near the top. Doable with good tread shoes, but a stick, or hiking pole would be great. Taylor Meadows is bug free, but no flowers yet. However, lots of flowers in bloom on the trail that takes you across Mimulus Lake towards junction to Helm. Enjoy!

Posted: August 11, 2012 12:38:00 PM PST

Jess from Vancouver writes:

Hi Esther,

Did you manage to climb up Panorama Ridge or Garibaldi Lake? The site update says "Panorama Ridge - This route is covered with snow and is not marked" on August 3.

Thanks!

Posted: August 8, 2012 11:58:12 PM PST

Esther from Vancouver writes:

Did the hike yesterday, some snow around the top but doable without sticks/snowshoes/crampon

Posted: August 7, 2012 01:20:40 PM PST

Jess from Vancouver writes:

Anybody have done this hike lately? Lots of snow? Planning to hike it this weekend.

Posted: August 6, 2012 12:09:32 PM PST

Mary from Burnaby writes:

I did Panorama last year with Black Tusk, but had overnighted it. I might be in, but don't know how twitter works. Email me at: merrybryant@hotmail.com and we can discuss.

Posted: July 26, 2012 09:51:38 PM PST

Luke from Vancouver writes:

I'm thinking of hiking the trail sometime in August. I'd love some company as this is a long hike.

If you're planning on doing it, do get in touch with me on twitter @LukeSeq

Cheers!

Posted: July 22, 2012 11:08:46 AM PST

Christina from Vancouver writes:

Elaine:
There is snow! You can check current conditions on BC Parks' site.

Posted: July 12, 2012 05:05:48 PM PST

Elaine Long from Vancouver writes:

Has anyone done this trail this year yet? Is the lots of snow up there?? Thanks!!

Posted: July 9, 2012 10:08:41 PM PST

Parth from Vancouver writes:

Anyone planning for Panorama Ridge ??

Posted: October 26, 2011 10:07:13 AM PST

Danker Kolijn from Vancouver writes:

We are 2 students hoping to go for a hike this weekend in the Garibaldi/Black Tusk area and need a ride up. Does anyone have 2 spots available in their car friday or saturday. Please let me know, willing to pitch for gas.

Posted: September 28, 2011 10:49:05 PM PST

Shaun from Vancouver writes:

Hey,

Did this hike on Saturday with a bunch of friends. For those of us who completed it, took us around 9 hours. The walk up to the lake is easy enough a very steady grade, and it's a great place to have lunch. Lots of people on the trail, but it was pleasant. The hike up to the ridge is breathtaking, some muddy parts along the trail, but nothing serious. You have to traverse a snow path towards the last KM or so up, it was no problem in regular hiking boots. Some people were doing it in runners. We slid down the glacier on our backsides on the way down, that was fun although it left me a bit sore! Bugs were not really a problem. All in all, one of the best hikes. Makes for a long day though, if you plan on doing the whole thing. The last 9 k down the switchbacks seem to go on forever... Still worth it:)

Posted: September 26, 2011 04:34:36 PM PST

Ken Dresen from Vancouver writes:

I was hoping to do this as a two day hike the weekend of the 10th, 11th, of September. I can't get anyone to join me. Is there anyone else going up this weekend, or Sunday, Monday?

Posted: September 9, 2011 09:40:41 PM PST

tila from vancouver writes:

I want to do this hike, never done it before so any advice on how to prepare for the hike and what I need to bring etc.

Posted: September 6, 2011 03:27:36 PM PST

Chad from Whistler writes:

Thanks for the info steve

Posted: September 2, 2011 02:49:45 PM PST

Nikki from St. Louis, MO writes:

Thank you, Steve!

Posted: August 23, 2011 09:27:49 AM PST

Steven from Surrey writes:

Just did this hike yesterday:

There are patches of snow and mud starting at the meadows, but nothing that will require special equipment to traverse. Hiking shoes will be enough =).

Have a great trip!

Posted: August 22, 2011 09:57:28 AM PST

Nikki from St. Louis, MO writes:

Has anyone been to Panorama Ridge lately? Is there still a lot of snow there? Can we hike with regular hiking shoes? We are planning to camp at Garibaldi Lake, then do a day hike to the ridge the following day.

Posted: August 22, 2011 09:48:48 AM PST

Todd from Burnaby writes:

There's still a lot of snow past the 7 km mark at Taylor Meadows. The trail is hard to follow at the junctions as there are very few ribbons. The lakes are still covered with snow. There are a few parts not covered in snow, which is a good rest to the eyes. At the moment, the trail to the top will need an ice axe, otherwise you might slip and die. We stopped at the last tree on the trail, where we met a couple attempting to go up the ridge.

Posted: July 30, 2011 10:09:15 PM PST

Luke Chapman from Brisbane writes:

Just checking if anyone knows whether the Panorama Ridge hike is accessible at the moment or if it is still under snow?

If anyone else is going in the next week and wouldn't mind if I tagged along please let me know.

Posted: June 7, 2011 05:02:26 PM PST

Josh from Vancouver writes:

Tough hike but amazing view.

Posted: December 9, 2007 10:27:12 PM PST