May Long Weekend Hiking RecommendationsDate: May 17, 2012
It appears as though the sunny weather will continue for at least part of the long weekend, which means a great opportunity for a day hike on one of the accessible trails.
While we've been experiencing great weather, the higher elevations are still under a considerable amount of snow and the warmer temperature is creating dangerous situations, such as large sinkholes and rivers running under the melting snow pack. Hike trails that are accessible this time of year and use common sense to avoid putting yourself in danger.
Here are a some suggested day hikes for this May Long Weekend:
- Diez Vistas Trail in Port Moody is a 6 hour hike around Buntzen Lake with several views of Indian Arm.
- Mount Gardner on Bowen Island is a short ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay and a full day's hike up to scenic views of Howe Sound, the Sunshine Coast, and West Vancouver.
- The Chief in Squamish is a popular "warm up" hike for the season and has incredible views of Howe Sound on a clear, sunny day.
- Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver has a network of easy hiking trails and family picnic areas located along the scenic shoreline.
- Jug Island Beach in Belcarra is a short hike that leads to a beach along the shores of Indian Arm situated directly in front of the tiny island.